Dak looks to lead the Cowboys

James D. Smith | Dallas Cowboys Media Relations

Dak Prescott is the first starting quarterback from Mississippi State University since 1979. He leads the Cowboys against the Giants in week one. 

Last week, the Dallas Cowboys visited the Seattle Seahawks for week three in the preseason. The  Cowboys came into the game with a preseason record of 1-1, with former Mississippi State University quarterback Dak Prescott putting on a show so far. This game would also be fans first appearance of Ezekial Elliot playing in a Dallas Cowboys uniform. 
  Fans had high hopes  Tony Romo would be playing with Elliot to foreshadow the upcoming season; even though Prescott is currently leading this preseason in quarterback completion percentage with 78 percent. This will be a good chance for fans to watch the cowboys with all the key offensive components playing together. 
    Dak finished his senior year here at MSU with 379 yards, 29 touchdowns and only five interceptions. MSU has never had a quarterback drafted as high as Prescott, let alone start in the NFL as Prescott has the chance of doing. This  shows the talent of Head coach Dan Mullen and how he trains his quarterbacks. 
   Mullen is known  for coaching multiple top quarterbacks, such as Alex Smith and Tim Tebow. Mullen is well known for his quarterback coaching talents, and it should translate to the next quarterback for Mississippi State. 
   Coming into the league, Prescott was being compared to players like Vince Young, who was a first round third overall pick for the Tennessee Titans in 2006. Prescott has the same build but lacks the aggressive rushing attack and polished deep throws on the field. On the bright side, expectations for Prescott are low since he was a fourth round pick. That will ultimately give him more time to develop in the league if he does produce as quickly as some would like or expect. 
   After only three plays for Tony Romo, defensive end Cliff Avril broke Romo’s back tackling him on a busted scrambling play. For Dallas Cowboys fans, this injury should not come as a surprise. Romo missed 12 games last season due to a collarbone fracture. The Cowboys went 1-11 without their starting quarterback last season. Overall, they recorded a 4-12 season. 

Since Romo will be sidelined for at least six weeks, fans can prepare to see more of Prescott starting this season. The owner of the Dallas Cowboys, Jerry Jones, told NFL.com sources, “(Romo) feels very confident our team can win games without him.”  
   This should not come as a shock to all fans of the Dallas Cowboys, seeing as how the team only won one game without Tony Romo last season and now veterans like Dez Bryant are complimenting the play on rookies like Prescott in pre season. 
   In the NFL, this is not the first time we have seen quarterbacks lose their position due to down time from an injury. That is usually how many teams find greatness, such as with Tom Brady for the New England Patriots. 
 While it was only preseason, Dak Prescott seemed to have a better start to the season than the number one overall pick Jared Goff. As well as leading in completion percentage, he had 454 passing yards and five touchdowns without a single interception. When NFL reporters asked Prescott about his plans on starting for the Dallas Cowboys until mid-season, he said “to do my best to hold the fort down.”
The NFL will be very interesting for Bulldog fans as they will get a chance to see Ezekiel Elliot playing with their very own Bulldog Dak Prescott. With conversations already looming about Elliot being rookie of the year for the Cowboys with Romo injured, the Cowboys will rely more heavily on the run attack of Elliot, while making sure Prescott is comfortable with his receivers. That does not seem like the case, as Prescott has already thrown over 300 yards and four touchdowns in just the preseason. 
   The regular season will be much more of a test but so far the young buck from Mississippi State seems to be on par to overthrow Romo for the starting position in Dallas. Many conversations loom about trading Romo as well as keeping Romo, as Dak’s backup. Ether way, Prescott has made a name for himself in the Cowboys locker room in the NFL. 
It will be intriguing to see how the rest of the season pans out for the Dallas Cowboys. The team has multiple injuries as well as suspensions on both sides of the ball. Prescott will have a challenge ahead of him, but his coaches have put him in a good position to still be competitive. Prescott will still have valuable targets like Dez Bryant and Jason Witten. 
    The rookie duo between Prescott and Elliot seems to be the future of “America’s Team.” There are still many questions dealing with the team defensively as well as their  health, but the Dallas Cowboys seem to have found their next leader.