Evie Singleton: Jill of all Trades

Evie Singleton, an outside hitter on the volleyball team, leads the Bulldog’s attack with a total of 1,107 attacks.

Last season, she ranked sixth in the SEC with 378 kills and an average of 3.53 per set. She set a career high with four total blocks and earned All-Tournament honors in all four of Mississippi State University’s non-conference tournaments.

With such outstanding stats, it seems believable that Singleton began playing volleyball while learning to walk, but that is incorrect.

“I started playing volleyball because my sister actually made me start doing stuff at her tryout,” Singleton said. “I was a basketball player and said that I was never going to play volleyball. Then when I was 13, I went to one of her tryouts and started messing around with a volleyball and then decided to play.”

Singleton’s work ethic and determination are two aspects that have been the root of her success as a volleyball player. She looks up to Kerri Walsh Jennings for inspiration because of her work ethic. 

“She is 39-years-old  and still going strong,” Singleton said. “It says something about who she is as a person, and she is willing to continue to pursue her dreams.”

Besides being gifted with the talent of playing volleyball, Singleton loves to sing, paint and draw when she is not dominating on the court. 

“I love to sing,” Singleton said. “I am a singer. I took voice lessons for four or five years, I sung opera and then after that I have not done much lately. I love to sing every genre of music; country and pop, you name it and I probably sing it.”

From taking voice lessons to becoming an exceptional volleyball player, Singleton has proven that with great work ethic and determination, she can fulfill her dreams and become anything she wants to become. 

The Bulldogs’ next match will be tonight at 6 p.m. against the University of Tennessee Volunteers in Knoxville, Tennessee. It will be televised on the SEC Network.