Volleyball has best start in school history

The Mississippi State volleyball team showed their true talent and heart through competition and by making school history this season. 

This weekend the team played two important conference ranking matches against Auburn and Alabama. Despite the slow yet undeniable 3-1 comeback win against Auburn and putting Alabama’s late surge to an exciting halt (3-2), the Bulldogs continue to prevail victorious, getting fans on their feet to congratulate each win in Newell-Grissom. 

This weekend’s wins solidified an important milestone for head coach David McFatrich and the team: their best start in program history at Mississippi State. 

“Best start in all 41 years of Mississippi State volleyball,” McFatrich said. “The players and assistant coaches have worked incredibly hard. I’m just glad I get to steer the ship every once in a while.”

The Bulldogs are starting their 2016 season on a good note with an overall record of 11-7 with the help of new members and elite veterans to pace them to the top. Currently in the SEC standings, Mississippi State sits at fourth place in the conference with a 3-1 record. 

Individually, Bulldogs are at peaking spots throughout the conference rankings. Senior Evie Grace Singleton places fourth in kills (.45 avg/s), service aces (.45 avg/s) and third in points (4.51 avg/s). Senior Jazmyn Johnson ranks seventh in blocks (1.21 avg/s), and senior Payton Harris places eighth in digs (3.53 avg/s). These notable attributions from players do not include powerhouse freshman Emily Hill, who dominated during the Auburn game with 24 kills and 11 digs, or sophomore Blossom Sato with 45 assists in the Auburn game and 49 against Alabama.   

The team’s bond and consistent work ethic keeps them moving forward and running through competition. They exemplified their toughness Sunday against Alabama. In the fifth set, the team successfully performed a crucial comeback with unbelievable game savers from Peyton Harris in the back and surveillance upfront by Jelena Vujcin and Jazmyn Johnson. Vujcin completed the game with the most kills at 16. McFatrich expressed his thoughts on the close win and what it means for the team’s future. 

“We knew how great Alabama was and saw they came out flat. This isn’t the team that was second in hitting. I do feel like we came out too at ease to open the third set.” McFatrich said, laughing at the double entendre of describing the dangerous momentum swing and the team’s late but fitting response against Alabama.

“They got aggressive and had nothing to lose.” McFatrich said. 

“The tide definitely turned, but it shows a lot about our team winning the fifth set. I feel like we starting playing with grit.”

The Bulldogs look to keep their historical start afloat as they play the Kentucky Wildcats Oct. 7 at Newell Grissom in a rematch from their 3-1 loss on Sept. 25. 

McFatrich expressed some pointers that need to be addressed in order for the Bulldogs to keep succeeding throughout the season. 

“We have to be better mentally and play with grit at all times,” McFatrich said. “We’re doubting ourselves a bit. You can’t do that when everyone you’re playing is great too. When you realize you’re great, all doubt should disappear.”