Pumpkinpalooza offers seasonal family fun

Pumpkin
Bek Yake
Pumpkin

Students still looking for a fun way to kick off their Halloween weekend should check out Pumpkinpalooza, a New South Weekend event.

Every year the Greater Starkville Development Partnership puts on events as a part of Mississippi State University football team’s homecoming weekend known as New South Weekends. New South Weekend events this year have included unWine Downtown and Bulldog Bash. Goals of New South Weekends and the Greater Starkville Development Partnership include generating business for Starkville’s downtown businesses and making Starkville into a destination town for those across the region.

New South Weekends returns to Main Street on Friday with Pumpkinpalooza, Starkville’s annual harvest festival. Pumpkinpalooza will kick off at 6 p.m. with a MSU pep rally located in front of the Greater Starkville Development Partnership office at 200 East Main St. downtown. The pep rally is in anticipation of the MSU football team’s Saturday Homecoming game against Samford.

New South Weekends has been considered very successful this year by the Partnership.

Jennifer L. Prather, the special events & projects coordinator for the Greater Starkville Development Partnership said sales grew during some of the events.

“Feedback has been as strong as ever with many partners reporting sales growth between 15 percent and 20 percent and record attendance for several events this year,” Prather said.

Pumpkinpalooza will include events for all ages. A pumpkin patch will be located near the same intersection as the MSU pep rally. Attendees can purchase a locally grown pumpkin from Lancaster Farms or take photos in the patch. Those who choose to purchase a pumpkin can move on to the pumpkin painting station being put on by the Starkville Area Arts Council.

Music will be provided throughout the event by Thurlow’s Party to Go.

In addition to the pumpkin patch, face painting and inflatable jumpers will be available for children. Children can also come in their Halloween costumes and take part in Trick-or-Treating by visiting participating Main Street merchants.

Attendees of Pumpkinpalooza can take part in the Starkville Community Market where vendors will be selling their products including produce and baked goods. Those who stay late can also participate in late night shopping and dining at Main Street member shops and restaurants. 

While visiting the Main Street member shops, visitors can view each shop’s entry into a window display contest. The MSU Fashion Board will be providing live modeling in Main Street shop windows. Most of the activities occurring as part of Pumpkinpalooza will end at 8 p.m.

The Greater Starkville Development Partnership is anticipating Pumpkinpalooza to continue this year’s trend of New South Weekend events breaking previous attendance records, so those wishing to attend Pumpkinpalooza should make plans accordingly. Streets that run into East Main Street between Jackson Street and Washington Street will be closed. Those who wish to find parking downtown should look in the outer areas of downtown.