Program feeds hungry students

The Mississippi State University Food Security Network has partnered with the Student Association to help MSU students who lack food resources through The Block by Block meal program.
De Schmidt, MSU Food Security Network coordinator, said students often choose to buy books and supplies before food.
“MSU Food Security Network is designed to help students who may face food insecurity,” Schmidt said. “You get to college and you realize that your financial aid package is not what you thought it was and instead of buying food, you buy your books and other supplies instead.” 
This is where the partnership with SA comes in. During the designated campaign week, students can donate a block meal. When the campaign is over, MSU Dining Services will match the number of block meals donated. Generally, one block meal is afforded, which is 20 meals and can be used at the Marketplace at Perry and the Fresh Food Company.
Whereas the Network will connect students, faculty, and staff to a local food pantry, Block by Block is specifically for students in need. 
Jaime Beazley, resident district manager, wants students to know they can also contact the Maroon Volunteer Center, the Dean of Students Office, or the Center for Student Activities when facing food insecurity.
“MSU Dining is contacted by MSU Food Security Network and block meals are loaded onto the student’s MSU ID card,” Beazley said. “Once activated, the block meals may immediately be redeemed in our all-you-care-to eat residential dining halls.”
Beazley said this virtual foodbank campaign allows the MSU SA, Food Security Network, and Dining Services to provide resources for students with food security needs.
Last year, over 1,544 meals were given away thanks to the 77 block meals donated to help students succeed against food insecurity.
“MSU Dining Services is excited in continuing partnership with the MSU Student Association and the MSU Food Security Network in the Block by Block campaign,” Beazley said. 
Students who feel they are in need of food assistance can contact Schmidt, at 662-325-1820 or by email at [email protected].