The best pet for college kids is a lot like us, but spikier

As a college student, there are few moments in the week when I am not stressed about class, work, my social life, or a combination of all three. 

Finding a balance between getting enough sleep, making good grades, and socializing can be one of the most difficult things to do in college – therefore it is understandable that students are stressed much of the time. 

According to Kirsten Schuder, a mental health counselor in Virginia, 1 in 5 college students feel stressed the majority of the time. 1 in 4 experience stress daily. 

While there are many ways to deal with the stress of college life, having a pet can be an especially tremendous help. According to Today, pets can help relax their owners, lower blood pressure, and even help them improve their relationships. 

Being able to come home and cuddle up to your beloved animal after a long day of midterms might be just what you need; however, a large amount of responsibility also comes with taking care of another living being. 

When adopting a pet, It is always important to understand the responsibility that pet care entails – and sometimes that responsibility is just too much. Training a kitten to use the litter box or training a puppy to stop chewing your shoes will not lower your stress. In fact, it will probably increase it.

It is obvious some animals work better for certain lifestyles than others. A college student—living in a 3rd floor apartment with two roommates—is probably not the best owner for a dog or a cat. So what is the best pet for college students with busy schedules and living situations?

The answer may not be one you would expect – the best pet for a college student is a Hedgehog. Why? Hedgehogs are a lot like us students. They sleep all day, sometimes like to hide, and require cuddles to stay friendly. 

Also like us, hedgehogs are small and only require medium-sized cages that do not have to be cleaned daily. They can eat most foods, though it is better to look into the right diet for them—they develop obesity problems if not fed correctly.

Vet Street states, Hedge- hogs will bond with their owners if time is spent socializing and interacting with the animal. They will respond to their owner’s voice and scent and will become more active when their owner is near. 

Hedgehogs do not bark or meow annoyingly while you are trying to study, either. Instead, they may cuddle up next to you and purr (yes, Hedgehogs purr when happy) in contentment. 

I cannot imagine a better study partner than a purring Hedgehog in my lap. Yes, hedgehogs do have quills, but they are not spikey like those of a Porcupine. They feel more like bristles on a hair brush. 

Pets are great stress relievers, and hedgehogs are fairly easy to manage in a college household. Pets may be too much of a stress for some, but if you are looking for a more low-maintenance animal who will still give you cuddles—Hedgehogs are the way to go.