Recruits sign with Bulldogs

Mississippi State found great success this year on National Signing Day, with all teams picking up good players for the next school year.

The men’s basketball team picked up their second consecutive Top 15 recruiting class by earning the No. 11 class in the nation. They did this by picking up Nick Weatherspoon, 4-star recruit out of Velma Jackson High School and brother of Quinndary Weatherspoon, Keyshawn Feazell, two-time Dandy Dozen player out of Lawrence County High School and Garrison Brooks, son of assistant coach George Brooks out of Auburn High School in Alabama. 

Head coach Ben Howland was pleased with how the team turned out, and highlighted that the players the Bulldogs grabbed are essential to the team’s success in the future.

“We have three commitments that I am thrilled about,” Howland said. “It’s an exciting day here at Mississippi State to have those three kids announce that they are going to be a part of our program. I have a great staff and facilities, but the family atmosphere here is the one thing I talk about. I’ve been at some special institutions as a coach and this place has the feel of a family, that is really special and unique.”

The softball team found success, landing the No. 4 ranked recruiting class for the 2017 year. The team signed nine players, with five of those players being ranked in the Flo Softball’s Top 150 players.

Standing out in the recruiting class is No. 4 ranked catcher/third baseman Mia Davidson and No. 33 and No. 34 O’Neil Roberson and Kinsey Goelz.

After a mediocre season last year, the Bulldogs are looking ahead to better times, led by coach Vann Stuedeman, who is happy these women are joining the group of Bulldogs she already has. Stuedeman gave credit to the other coaches, and said the women are perfect fits for the Bulldogs.

“I’d like to commend Coach Ricketts and Bratton for their efforts in solidifying such a strong signing class,” Stuedeman said. “I’d also like to thank each family for choosing Mississippi State. Every member of this signing class exemplifies the Mississippi State softball core values: selfless, excellent and competitive. I am proud to have them joining the Bulldog nation and honored to have the opportunity to coach these young ladies.”

Women’s golf signed two standouts in their recruiting class, signing an All-American who is ranked in the Top 40 players in Aubree Jones, from Covington, Tennessee. The Bulldogs found an in-state recruit from Jackson in Blair Stockett.

The women’s basketball team only signed one player so far in their early signing period and that player is Jonika Garvin from Palm Beach State College. As a freshman there, she averaged 10 minutes per game, with 1.9 points and 1.6 rebounds. Out of high school, she was a three-star recruit.

After having a successful fall season, the men’s golf team signed five members to their recruiting class. They are led by two star players in No. 92 Goodman Rudolph, who is ranked No. 3 in Tennessee The top player coming in is Austin Fulton, No. 29 in the nation and No. 1 in the state of Georgia. 

The Bulldogs are excited for their recruiting class and head coach Clay Homan expects this class to be one of the best recruiting classes to come through Mississippi State.

“We have put together an outstanding recruiting class for the 2017 early signing period,” Homan said. “This is a talented group of young men not only on the course, but also in the classroom and in the community. I fully expect this group to elevate Mississippi State golf to new levels and help us win championships.”