‘The Choice’ portrays unique romance

Recently, I saw the new movie “The Choice,” based on Nicholas Sparks’ best selling book, and it is another Sparks favorite to add to a list of must- see movies.  This movie portrays a compelling love story between Gabby (Teresa Palmer) and Travis (Benjamin Walker).

Travis and Gabby get off to a rough start when Gabby moves in next door and cannot get any studying done due to Travis’ loud music.  After Gabby approaches Travis, the two quickly notice how much they bother each other.  Gabby is a feisty medical student studying for her boards and working at a local hospital her boyfriend’s family owns.

Meanwhile, Travis is a good ole’ boy who is partners with his father at a veterinary clinic and has no interest in a relationship with any meaning.  Travis is the kind of guy who wants to keep his easygoing lifestyle, while Gabby plans to settle down with her perfectly planned out life.   The unlikely couple eventually face their irresistible connection, are wed and begin the journey of a life of love together.  

A few years later, two kids come and life is good until one night a storm rocks their world.  One of them is forced to make a choice like no other.  “The Choice” ultimately confronts viewers with one of the most heart wrenching questions in the world, how far can you go to keep the hope of love afloat? 

“The Choice” is yet another one of Sparks’ love-inspired, adrenaline rushing and heart wrenching films to hit the big screen.  The story conveys the message of how many choices people are faced with in life and how one little choice can change everything.  This film is colorful and entertaining with numerous plot twists.  

It is a film that will make viewers cry, laugh and compel viewers to deep thought. 

Allie Pilgrim, sophomore business major, said this was perhaps his best movie yet.  This speaks volumes because many of his books have been turned into major motion pictures.  

“I’d go back to see that again now. It was that good.  It is such a compelling story with twists and turns and so much love,” Pilgrim said.

The film remains similar to the book, as did past films. The movie was 111 minutes, making it one of Sparks’ longer films.  It was exquisitely timed and never lost the viewer’s attention.  The gorgeous scenes and practical plot twists with  well thought out dialogue really held the attention of the audience, making it a movie that kept one on the edge of their seat.  

Lastly, I enjoyed how the film showed life’s ups and downs and how things can turn around in an instance.   Without giving too much away, there are so many times when people think it’s all over, but in a snap things change.  “The Choice” is creative, compelling, exciting and relatable.   If one is looking for a romance or a good cry, this is undoubtedly the movie to see.