Tennis bests Ole Miss

On an eventful Senior Day, the women’s tennis team faced the Ole Miss Rebels for their last home match of the season. 

In doubles play, Bulldogs Madison Harrison and Kristina Vozniak claimed an easy 6-2 win against Ole Miss’ Arianna Hartono and Mai El Kamash. 

On court two, Ole Miss swept past the Bulldogs 6-2. 

The Rebels Allie Sanford and Natalie Suk started the match on a hot streak with both Rebels making stellar plays to lock in a win for OM.

On court three, the Bulldogs Georgiana Patrasc and Anatasia Rentouli won the toughest match against Rebel Zalina Khairudinova and Marija Milutinovic 6-4. Both teams had their own rhythm to work to.

Ole Miss started to come back, but MSU partners Patrasc and Rentouli would stand to be too much to handle as the Bulldogs won in doubles, giving them the 1-0 lead. 

During the ten minute intermission, the team honored their lone senior, Patrasc. 

The tennis team mentioned her great honors, such as making the 2013 All SEC second team, ITA Academic All American team and how she holds an impressive 24-6 record in singles play during her senior season. 

Her school records were also honorably mentioned before she performed in her last singles home match. 

During singles, Ole Miss put up a fight, but the Bulldogs were victorious.  

On court one, Jasmine Lee had trouble finding a strategy to defeat Arianna Hartono as she won the first set. 

During set two, Lee began to find strategies to keep the ball in play. She won set two but then lost in set three giving Ole Miss their first point of the match, tieing the game 1-1.

On court two, Patrasc dominated Natalie Suk and defeated her in two sets 6-1, 6-2 improving to 25-6 in singles. 

In match three, Harrison took down Mai El Kamasch in two sets, upsetting the No. 85 player. 

On court four Zalina Khairudinova shocked Bulldog No. 115 Anastasia Rentouli and pulled Ole Miss close as MSU still led 3-2.

Jennifer Brown and Allie Sanford competed to clinch the match win. Brown came out on top winning in two sets, 6-4, 6-4. 

The fifth singles match with Kristina Vozniak and Marija Milutinovic, went to game three as both fought for another team point. Vozniak fought to stay alive after losing game one, 5-7. 

Even though Brown clinched the entire match win, Vozniak still played just as efficient, leading to another point for the Bulldogs winning overall  with a score of 5-2.

Head coach Daryl Greenan expressed his pride in the rivalry win and Patrasc’ heartfelt Senior Day performance. 

“I was so proud of our entire team today for fighting for this win,” Coach Daryl Greenan said. 

“We played well in doubles to go up early, and then Madison and Georgiana put us in a position to win it in singles.” 

He then continued on Patrasc and her impact on the team.

“Obviously it was her Senior Day, and she was into it,” Coach Greenan said. “She has done a great job as a senior and all four years of her career. She has really made a huge impact on this program, and it shows by all the records she holds.”  

The Bulldogs will continue their SEC play on the road against Missouri and Arkansas before competing in the SEC Women’s Tennis tournament, beginning April 20.

The win over Ole Miss was the first victory for MSU since 1989 and it improved the Bulldogs’ record this season to 14-7 overall and 5-6 in conference play.