Bulldogs shut out in-state foe Golden Eagles

After a slow start, Mississippi State (24-20) was able to complete the shutout of Southern Miss (23-24) with a final score of 4-0.

The pitching of Alexis Silkwood led the way for the Bulldogs. She finished with seven innings of work with no walks and six strikeouts. 

With key double plays having a role in the win, she commended the play of the defense.

“It’s amazing,” Silkwood said. “I know whenever the ball leaves my hand the defense has it. They’ve been solid all year; it’s a part of our game that’s just phenomenal.”

The first few innings were a slight struggle for the Bulldogs offense. Kayla Winkfield provided the first hit for MSU in the third.

Scoring began in the fourth inning when catcher Katie Anne Bailey sent a home run over the left field wall. Following the home run, she knew that was the spark Mississippi State needed as they built on their lead and never looked back.

“That was a fun way to get us going,” Bailey said. “What home run doesn’t put a team into high spirits, just ready to crush some more?”

MSU really broke open the game in the sixth inning. After the lead-off hitter was walked, MSU went on to finish the inning with four hits and three runs. Caroline Seitz had a stolen base in the inning, and the combined hitting of Mackenzie Tolar and Calyn Adams led the offensive surge.

Samantha Robles was the starting pitcher for the Golden Eagles. In her five innings on the mound, she gave up the four runs to MSU on six hits. In the sixth inning, she was relieved by Jillian Johnson, who gave up an additional two hits to finish out the game.

This was the second meeting of the season between these two teams. In February, they faced off in Mobile, Alabama at the Mardi Gras Invitational. The Bulldogs won that meeting as well with a 6-0 score.

The Bulldogs next challenge will be a return to SEC play in Gainesville. They travel for a weekend series against the No. 1 Florida Gators beginning this Friday at 5 p.m.

Head Coach Vann Stuedeman is looking forward to the challenge the Gators will bring. She wants her team to focus on what they bring to the table and not about who their opponent is.

“I expect us to fight really hard, play good softball and do what we do,” Stuedemann said. “We focus on what we do and not what they do. You play against the game and not the opponent.”

Currently Mississippi State sits in 12th place with a 3-12 record in the SEC.

The Bulldogs will return home to Nusz Park on April 26 for a game against South Alabama.