Fred Brown dismissed

Sarah Story | The Reflector

Fifth-year senior wide receiver Fred Brown has been dismissed from Mississippi State University for an Honor Code violation.

Mississippi State football wide receiver Fred Brown was dismissed from the university for an Honor Code violation, according to a MSU spokesperson. 

Brown missed MSU’s scrimmage last Saturday with what Dan Mullen described as a family issue. Brown would have been entering his fifth season with MSU football. 

An MSU spokesperson said, “Fred Brown has been dismissed form the school and is no longer a student or a member of the football team.”

For those that are unfamiliar, the MSU Honor Code says, “As a Mississippi State University student I will conduct myself with honor and integrity at all times. I will not lie, cheat, or steal, nor will I accept the actions of those who do.”

This leaves MSU even thinner at receiver position going into MSU’s spring football game tomorrow. Fred Ross is out with a groin injury, and Donald Gray is out with a knee injury. Now with Brown’s dismissal, MSU will play their spring game tomorrow without their top four receivers. Both Ross and Gray are expected to be healthy by the seasons start however. 

Even before Brown’s dismissal, quarterback Nick Fitzgerald mentioned how missing receivers is affecting the team. 

“We have a lot of guys banged up,” Nick Fitzgerald said. “But the whole point of spring is to get reps, and that just gives the younger guys more playing time.”

Even before Brown’s dismissal, receiver depth has been such a big issue that safety Jamal Peters had to switch sides and play some offense for MSU to have enough receivers to practice. 

After practice, Peters talked about switching sides. 

“Once Donald Gray went down, Coach Mullen approached me and said they were short  at receiver,” Peters said. “He needed me to come in and work there.”

Peters was not the only player switching positions as Brandon Holloway has been taking snaps at wide reciever this spring.

Brown was showing promise last season as he grabbed 27 receptions by the season end. He  had 412 receiving yards and averaged 15.8 yards a catch and caught three receiving touchdowns. 

With Brown’s absence, more young receivers like Jesse Jackson and Malik Dear will have to take an even bigger role going into next season. 

MSU will be back in action tomorrow morning at 11 a.m. for the annual spring game. Their 2016 season opener will be versus South Alabama on September 3.