After Dark presents free Christian concert and speaker

*Editor’s Note:*

The event has been moved from the outdoor amphitheater to the Humphrey Coliseum.

After Dark is a free Christian concert that will take place on April 14th at 8 p.m. at the outdoor amphitheater on campus.

The coordinators of the event select students who have worked as counselors at the summer camp to act as liaisons between the camp and the school, also known as “quarterbacks”. 

“After Dark’s dynamic one night event at Mississippi State  University will couple an incredible concert by Colony House and Reach Records artist Tedashii, along with a captivating presentation by Joe White asking the question, ‘Is Jesus Still Relevant Today?’ according to Emily Carter, a sophomore and one of the “quarterbacks” for the event on MSU’s campus.

After Dark is a nation wide event that has been taking place across several college campuses since 2000, reaching out to over 400,000 students. Joe White, the event’s speaker, is also the president of Kanakuk Kamps and founder of Kids Across America in Branson, Missouri. After Dark is an extension of Kanakuk Kamps, a Christian sports summer camp. 

This year, they visited campuses such as Louisiana State University, University of Wyoming, Wichita State University and Louisiana Lafayette. 

However, the event is not new to this campus. After Dark was brought to Starkville three years ago, and they will probably return to MSU in another three to four years. 

This year, Carter and Ben Matthews were selected as the quarterbacks to advertise the event across the campus and complete more technical tasks such as working with the staff at MSU to make this event happen, according to Matthews. 

“The overall goal of the night is to expose college students to the person of Jesus so they can decide for themselves if they feel like he is in any way relevant to their lives today,” Carter said. “It’s far more than a concert; it’s a catalyst for conversation, investigation and a night that offers authentic hope.”

Carter and Matthews are very enthusiastic about bringing this nation-wide event to their own campus.

“I’m excited about the event because people have the opportunity to hear a message of hope while having fun and listening to some good music,” Matthews, said.

Both students put great emphasis on the fact that this is a free event, meaning everyone is welcomed and encouraged to attend.