Despite flaws, United States still remains land of economic opportunity

In 2010, when I first stepped onto American soil at the huge Chicago airport, I felt small and vulnerable—like an alien seeing real human beings for the first time. However, less than a week later, I was warm with gratitude as I noticed a woman wearing hijab and a girl in a tank top sitting side by side. There were people from India, China and many other countries sitting in the same shuttle, enjoying the American summer all the same. 

Now, almost five years later, I not only have great friends from the United States  but from India, China, Turkey, Nepal, Pakistan, Japan… and the list goes on. I know many disappointed and pessimistic people might disagree, but I’m convinced: The United States is still one of the greatest nations in the world, and for very different reasons than you might think.

Firstly, looking at numbers, America does not always make it to the top of the list in many economic indexes. However, indexes like Human Development Index, Quality of Life Index and World Happiness Report belong to other countries. Ultimately, the U.S. does still have the highest GDP in the world. However, numbers only reflect part of the story, right? 

Australian author and political commentator Nick Adams best summarized what makes America great in a YouTube video. According to Adams, what makes America great is that it gives people a chance to fail and rise up again. The United States is home to nearly half the world’s millionaires. We also have the highest number of billionaires at 536—with China coming in second place at 213. 

This may not prove economic superiority, but it does indicate that America is not only a melting pot, but a huge petri dish for entrepreneurs and genius. If you want to join the business class, the numbers show that you definitely can if you work hard and are smart enough. 

Some of the world’s favorite entrepreneurs—like Elon Musk, Mark Zuckerburg, Bill Gates and Jeff Bezoz—have established their ultra-successful companies here in the U.S.  What I find most fascinating about these Americans is that they are not just creating wealth for themselves. They have created products that will positively impact everyone across the globe, and will shape the future of humanity. It is also worth noticing that the CEOs of many prominent companies headquartered in the U.S., such as Microsoft and Google, are from countries like India. However, these brilliant-minded people came to the U.S. to apply their talents.

We can even look at a small city like Starkville as a reflection of the United States as a whole. At Mississippi State University, you can create your own fulfilling world. I found a wonderful home away from home, full of Bangladeshi graduate students and families who meet regularly to cook delicious food for each other, just as an excuse to have fun. People of every background are free to celebrate their cultures during events like International Fiesta. If you love to meet new people, there are events like International Hour at the Baptist Student Union. Want to start your own business? MSU Entrepreneurship Center will help you with funds and ideas regardless of your current economic status. The opportunity for growth is endless, even in a small setting. 

Blaming external participants for internal crisis was never part of the American heritage. Building walls and kicking people out of a country has been done before in the old world. In this braver, newer world people have the power to try and try again to change the system, until the situation is fair and free for individuals and for the community. The U.S. is great because of the great leaders and great minds who choose to live and work here. These achievement-oriented people have come because of the great opportunities offered to them within a safe and nurturing environment. In order to keep America great by sustaining freedom and happiness, the people of the United States must continue to choose leaders wisely.