Music progression reflects societal changes

Music has influenced American culture for decades and continues to shape the captivated youth. Music has been engaging people and making changes to how we interact. As humans have progressed, so has music. It is incredible how influenced by the music teenagers and college students are. As the decades have moved on, so has the music, and so have the students.
Imagine sitting in a ballroom in the early 1900s listening to an orchestra play with skill only some dream of. When we think of music in this aspect, compared to what is being listened to on a regular basis today, it seems like a very far stretch. As our culture evolved, so did the way we expressed ourselves through art forms. Many of us could never imagine wearing a ball gown or a suit and tie to a concert, but back then, that was the trend.
As time wore on, people began to experiment with music in ways that had never been expected. R&B and soul music were introduced to the public, and although many still frowned upon it, these styles quickly caught on. Slowly but surely, rock ‘n’ roll hit the scene, and to me, that’s where it all really went out the window. With artists such as Elvis Presley, Buddy Holly and several one-hit wonders, the ’50s really began a revolution not only for the music scene but the people of America.
While music changed, so did our people. Racial discrimination came to light and was handled in our government on a level we had not scene since the Civil War. Women’s equality was a heated topic, and women’s societal role was changing drastically.
To me, the most influential time period in music was the 1960s and 70s. Rock ‘n’ Roll had become a way of life and the freedom to be true to yourself was a phrase echoing in the hearts of nearly everyone. These decades were spilling with creative ability, from artists like Jimi Hendrix, Diana Ross, Bob Marley, The Who and, who could forget, The Beatles? We were swimming in a pool of genius through the music each of these musicians and many more played. A revolution had begun, and the younger generations were definitely reaping the benefits. To grow up in an era that was so filled with unbelievable music could change a world — and it did.
After the ’60s and ’70s, not only did our music change, but also our culture truly hit one of its breaking points. Segregation was abolished, women’s rights were gratified and music had changed the minds of almost all. If this art could help revolutionize such debated issues as these, why couldn’t it do the same with our problems today?
From the progression of music over some 30 or 40 years, specifically, we have so many different genres making their ways into our society today. Music is no longer something perfect and pristine but an adventure for the youth of America.
While many of us indulge ourselves in good music like others would in a chocolate cake, we must be conscious of what we are listening. While a freedom of expression is always appreciated, music can affect us just as negatively as it can positively. Using music to change the world is awesome, but change it for good, not for bad.
As we grow as a society, we will expand the ways in which we communicate our innermost selves in order to impact the world. Whether it is a cantata played out through an orchestra or the most insane guitar riff Hendrix could ever concoct, we will find ways to entertain, enjoy and engage.
So, as we get older, we should take what we have always known and loved and continue to recreate it for future generations. If a song could change our lives, it could probably change another,
Sarah Ulmer is a sophomore majoring in communication. She can be contacted at
[email protected]