MSU student interned for “The Help”

It is readily known that Mississippi State University students go on to accomplish great things. We have had alumni in business, government, sports and even forays into the entertainment industry. Avent Clark is a communication major with a concentration in public relations working toward a master’s degree in student affairs. The Greenwood native was offered the incredible opportunity this past year to work on the recently released film adaptation of the critically acclaimed novel, “The Help,” written by Mississippi native, Kathryn Stockett.
            The producer of “The Help” contacted Clark for her experience in event planning and such an unwonted experience could not be passed up. Her official title during her tenure of movie-making was production assistant for the production office, and her duties included organizing and filling out paperwork for the producer and editing production notes so filming during the day would run as smoothly as possible. Another monumental task was scheduling catering to feed the 230-person workforce and also picking up the producer’s groceries.
            “It was so hectic working 13-to-14-hour days; they sometimes started at 3:45 a.m,” Clark said.
            It is no wonder how production schedules in Hollywood seem to go awry, but Clark said as draining as the six-month process was, the crew functioned as a well-oiled machine.
            “I still keep in touch with many of the people I worked with. It always felt like such a big family, and I can’t compliment these wonderful people enough,” she said.
Clark was fortunate enough to actually shoot the movie in her hometown of Greenwood but other locales included Clarksdale and Jackson, Miss.
What is even more impressive is how Clark managed to avoid becoming starstruck working among some of Hollywood’s upcoming and elite actors. Emma Stone, Bryce Dallas Howard, Viola Davis and Sissy Spacek are just a few of the A-list actors that headline this movie, and Clark got to do a lot more than just meet them.
“I think it’s funny how I wasn’t nervous. They were as much normal people as anyone else, especially when we all would go out to eat at Delta Bistro or go swimming at one of the rented houses near set,” Clark said.
It is also important to note Clark remembered her roots even in the midst of the Tinseltown hubbub. MSU is her passion and she showed it by wearing maroon on Fridays and, moreover, by bringing a cowbell to the office where she worked. She even enlisted the help of her friends on set more than once to ensure she was making the most of the lucky chance she was given.
All the hard work Clark did paid off in very considerable ways. She and her father can be seen as extras in the movie and a library set piece in the movie is named Avent & Clark’s Booksellers — an homage from a friend of Clark’s in the art department involved with “The Help.” Clark was also a guest at the red carpet premiere of the movie in Madison.
Perhaps the biggest honor Clark was given was when she was asked by a dialect coach to read a few of Emma Stone’s lines in her charming southern drawl for study.
When asked about the highlight of this experience, Clark provided a simple, reflective answer and said, “There was one scene being filmed with Emma … and I was sitting with the producer laughing and chatting behind the director filming when I suddenly realized that a movie was being made of which I was a part of … that was a really exciting feeling.”