Attention turns to No. 3 LSU Thursday

After a heartbreaking loss in the SEC opener on Saturday, Mississippi State looks to bounce back at home against a talented LSU team Thursday night at Davis Wade Stadium.
For the third time in as many games, head coach Dan Mullen and the Bulldogs will take on a group of Tigers, with this group looking to be the most formidable.
LSU comes into the game with a 2-0 record and ranked third in national polls.
After a 40-27 opening day trouncing of an Oregon squad that made an appearance in the national championship last year, LSU knocked off weak in-state opponent Northwestern State 49-3 last Saturday in Baton Rouge.
The game proved to be more practice for senior quarterback and potential comeback story of the year Jarrett Lee, who has silenced critics nationwide with his performances in the previous two games.
Though he has only thrown two touchdown passes this season, Mullen, in a press conference on Monday, praised Lee’s ability to control the offense and warned not to overlook his previous experience as a freshman starter prior to being benched in favor of more athletic prospects.
“He has played a lot of football,” Mullen said. “He understands the league. He’s a great manager of the game and makes all the throws he needs to in all the key situations for them.”
Mullen also gave credit to the Tiger secondary. Even with All-American and multiple award winner Patrick Peterson moving on to the NFL, Mullen said this year’s set of defensive backs are stronger than ever.
Last week’s last-second loss at Auburn was a harsh blow to a Bulldog team looking to come into its home opener 2-0. Despite the loss, Mullen and the Dogs have played exceptionally well.
The offense has had five 30 -plus point games in a row dating back to last season, the longest streak in school history.
Vick Ballard will have to be a key contributor on Thursday. He now has a 150-yard average at 9.7 yards, a carry and four touchdowns. His performance may influence the outcome.
Chris Relf is still looking good as well, with his decision-making really sticking out. He has only thrown one interception to his three touchdowns and has amassed nearly 400 yards. These numbers, especially for a Bulldog quarterback, are more than impressive.
Though the Bulldogs will kick-off Thursday with an 11-game losing streak to LSU hanging over their heads, Mullen said superstition and previous records are not something that will affect his team.
With a short preparation week and a game last Saturday that beat up the Bulldogs quite a bit, Monday through Wednesday are more important than ever.
“We’ve put that game behind us; we will handle this short week well,” Cox said.