Secondary producing big plays for MSU

Big plays are often the key in winning a football game. In most cases, big plays come in the form of a long run or pass down field, or even an incredible kick or punt return. This year most of Mississippi State’s big plays have come on the defensive end of the field.
Defensive coordinator Chris Wilson said big plays from the defense can change games.
“They are huge because obviously, at the end of the day, you are out there to make big plays,” Wilson said. “So often you are out there to prevent them, but it’s nice to see those guys go out there and make big plays.”
Take MSU’s most recent win against Louisiana Tech, for example. It was a tie game with a little over four minutes left. La. Tech was driving with the ball on the MSU 20-yard line and had the momentum. It looked as if the Bulldogs from Louisiana  were about to score and take the lead, forcing a need for last-minute heroics from an inconsistent State offense.
La. Tech quarterback Nick Isham had been poised the whole game, especially for a 17 year old, but his throw to the end zone was intercepted by junior cornerback Johnthan Banks, and the momentum of the game swung completely.
This interception by Banks was his third of the season and moved him into a tie for sixth on MSU’s all-time interceptions list with 10. This also made Banks the 10th player in school history to record at least ten picks, and he has one more year to go.
Wilson said Banks goes out and just plays every game.
“Johnthan gives you a big body with a lot of length,” Wilson said. “He is someone who can really support you in the run game.”
But the big plays made in the secondary did not stop there for the Dogs. La. Tech started with the ball in overtime, but the second play was picked off by sophomore defensive back Nickoe Whitley for his second pick of the season.
These two huge interceptions gave the game to MSU. Add in the play of junior cornerback Corey Broomfield, whose 5’11 stature allows him to be elusive in the secondary, and it is clear the Bulldogs pride themselves in their secondary.
Also, three of the four sacks State made during the game came from members of the secondary. Banks and senior Wade Bonner recorded their second career sacks, while Charles Mitchell notched his first career sack. These sacks came at key times in the game, as well.
Mitchell made his stop on a third down play in the second quarter, forcing La. Tech to punt. Banks sacked Isham in the final drive of the first half, a big blow to La. Tech’s final drive. Bonner’s sack came in the fourth when La. Tech had the ball on MSU’s three-yard line on third down. This sack forced La. Tech to settle for a field goal to tie the game. Bonner also had a big fumble recovery during the game.
The great play of the secondary has helped out the defensive line and linebackers as they continue to improve. Senior linebacker Brandon Wilson said specifically Banks and Broomfield were ball players.
“It gives us a great deal of confidence,” Wilson said. “It makes us feel good knowing that the guys behind us are back there competing for the ball and getting turnovers.”
The defense has stepped up its game when opponents are in the red zone, allowing touchdowns only half of the time the other team advances inside State’s 20-yard line. Head coach Dan Mullen said he would like the defense to allow the other team no yards every time it steps on the field.
“We try to get off the field as fast as possible on defense; we don’t want to give up anything,” Mullen said. “When you get in the red zone, you don’t want to give up points. Every aspect of it is trying to prevent them from moving the ball and scoring.”
Big plays must continue to come from the secondary for State to continue its winning ways, and with Banks, Broomfield, Whitley, Mitchell and Bonner, MSU has arguably one of the best secondaries in the SEC.