Soccer travels to LSU for SEC opener

The MSU women’s soccer team rounds out the list of fall sports starting SEC play as it travels to Baton Rouge and Fayetteville this weekend to take on LSU and Arkansas.
The Bulldogs have gotten plenty of practice recently for these big games. Their last four games have gone into overtime, with the last two going into double overtime. State was victorious over Arkansas-Pine Bluff and Lipscomb with game-winning goals from junior Madison McKee and senior Tarah Henderson but could not come up with a big play to outlast Southern Miss or Troy.
Head coach Neil Macdonald said his team played well in these games but was a little unfortunate.
“Our finishing could be better; we could be keeping the ball down more and tucking it in the corners a little bit better than we have been doing,” Macdonald said. “I also think there are two sides to that because four back-to-back overtimes says a lot about our character that we didn’t lose those games.”
These long games prepared the girls for whatever comes their way heading into conference play. But they do not have an easy task tonight as they take on a rival Macdonald called a very, very good LSU team.
“They are very technical, move the ball very quickly and have a lot of individual skill on their team, so they will be a real challenge on the road,” Macdonald said. “We will have to come out with a game plan to play them down there, but we feel good, and we’re confident coming into it.”
The Tigers have already beaten Oklahoma, Texas and Oregon, among others and own the SEC defensive player of the week from earlier this season. However, MSU’s offensive attack is very impressive itself.
State has 160 shot attempts this year compared to its opponent’s mere 122 attempts. The Bulldogs also have a very balanced attack; their six goals have come from six different players.
Leading the way upfront for the Bulldogs are junior Jasmine Simmons and sophomore Elisabeth Sullivan. Macdonald said these two are both dangerous forwards.
“Jasmine’s great under pressure; she has the ability to play everyone else in, and she can hold the ball up well for us,” Macdonald said. “Elisabeth is a very good one-on-one player and has the speed and pace to get behind defenses and is a very good finisher.”
These two will play a key role for the team Sunday as it faces Arkansas, a team Macdonald said matches up really well with State. McKee said the team is ready and confident going into the game.
“I think we’re ready, and we’re prepping with individual stuff so we will know what they’re going to do,” McKee said. “We have scouting reports so we’re trying to learn about them.”
Opening up conference play on the road will not be easy for the Bulldogs. Simmons said there is a disadvantage to playing on the road, and McKee agreed it must be treated like a home game by the team.
“Hearing your fans cheer for you so loud pumps you up, so you don’t have that when you go away,” McKee said.
One thing that has remained solid for the team dating back to the spring is the team chemistry. McKee said it is the best chemistry she has ever seen at MSU. Simmons added this year’s team is trying to build a reputation for State’s soccer program.
“I think we have really good chemistry on the team,” Simmons said. “Everyone looks up to each person in different ways because everyone has her thing that she’s good at, so you know you can look at her for certain things.”
A win tonight would begin to form this desired reputation for the Bulldogs.
Game time is set for 7 p.m., and Sunday’s game in Fayetteville will start at 1 p.m.