Volleyball making first trip to Cali for tourney

The Mississippi State volleyball team will be making its first ever trip to California this weekend to participate in the Community Bankers Classic Tournament. The team struggled in last weekend’s Maroon Classic and is looking to bounce back in the Golden State.
The Bulldogs open with a Friday night matchup against host University of the Pacific. The Tigers boast in their height as eight of the thirteen players are 6’0 or taller, including a 6’6 freshman middle blocker. The Dawg defenders will have to be quick on their toes in order to frustrate and slow down Pacific’s dominant offensive attack.
Head coach Jenny Hazelwood said Pacific’s height combined with their great setter allows them to really mix the ball up on offense.
“We have to work hard to be disciplined on defense and stay mentality tough through it all,” Hazelwood said. “I feel like defense is a mindset and a hustle thing, so I feel if we are all out on defense, we can frustrate their big hitters.”
Also participating in the tournament are Duquesne and Army. All three of State’s opponents this weekend won their opening tournaments last weekend and are currently 3-0. Hazelwood said this tough competition will help prepare the girls for a grueling SEC schedule.
“This weekend we play some of the toughest competition we will play in our non-conference play, so a big part of this weekend is just seeing where we stand against great teams,” Hazelwood said. “One of the biggest things I expect this weekend is to see them play with a lot of heart and hustle.”
Going into the weekend Hazelwood is completely confident of one thing: Caitlin Rance will continue her streak of double doubles. The senior outside hitter and co-captain recorded a double double in each match last weekend, finishing with 52 kills and 39 digs. Hazelwood expects this performance from Rance every time she steps on the court.
“I can confidently say that because that’s how she is; she is a very driven athlete, and I don’t think she will be satisfied unless she is getting double-digit kills and double-digit digs,” Hazelwood said. “She’s just a true competitor down to her core.”
However, Rance and the rest of the MSU hitters need a setter to get them the ball before they can kill it. Fortunately for State, they have  one of the best setters in the league in sophomore Paris Perret. With one year under her belt, Perret feels more aware of her job this season, and some early struggles did not keep her down for long.
“My game was not where it needed to be last weekend, but I think we have definitely made some improvements in communication and figuring out what I need to do in order to make my hitters successful,” Perret said. “Now there is definitely a realization on things, and I need to step up my game and get stuff done for my team.”
Perret said all of the girls are excited about California, but one player in particular has great reason to be eager for the trip. Junior right side and co-captain Faith Steinwedell will be on familiar ground as she returns to her home state. The LoJolla, Calif. native has no problem making the long haul across the U.S. to return home.
“I’m extremely excited,” Steinwedell said. “I get to see my family, and they get to see me play for the first time in a long time, so it will be great; everyone is really excited.”
Steinwedell is not alone in this enthusiasm for her homecoming; assistant coach Branden Higa will be returning to his native state as well. Higa grew up in Lancaster, Calif., and played collegiate volleyball at Pepperdine University. Higa said there is just something about simply being home that excites him.
“There’s a really strong volleyball tradition in California, and I’m really excited to have been here in Mississippi for volleyball and to bring what we have here back home to a place that has such a passion for the sport,” Higa said. “California is my home, but this is my state, and I’m excited to show them what we do out here.”
Higa, Steinwedell and the rest of the team will have to take this emotion onto the court this weekend and have the mindset to take control of the game in order to prove they are capable of playing with great competition.