Students vote for smoking ban, return of Reveille

Mississippi State University students voted during Tuesday’s Homecoming election in favor of restricting tobacco use on MSU’s campus. Students also passed a motion for the Reveille to return as the MSU yearbook.
Nearly 3,000 students said they support MSU’s campus becoming 100 percent tobacco free during the 2011 Homecoming election. Around 2,000 students voted in support of the creation of designated smoking zones throughout campus.
Rhett Hobart, Student Association president, said the poll is not a final vote for a tobacco ban but was a way to gather student opinions about the issue.
“Having student thoughts in this process is essential, and we are committed to having the student voice heard in this decision,” he said.
Halston Hales, SA vice president, said MSU created a taskforce to prepare an official code for tobacco use on campus.
“They are looking to spend the next four months creating a policy, and I wouldn’t be surprised if another referendum is on the next ballot,” he said.
Hobart said the taskforce includes student representatives from SA senate, executive council and SA cabinet.
He said universities across the country are discussing tobacco policies and MSU officials wanted to know if students would support  a change here.
Hales said the SA senate will discuss the results of the referendum during its Nov. 8 meeting. Senators will be polled before the policy moves to the next step.
He said he feels a large number of students said they would like to see some restrictions on tobacco use on campus.
“Three-quarters of the campus is in favor of change,” he said.
Another measure students voted on during the election was the return of the Reveille, the official MSU yearbook, which was discontinued in 2007.
Over 4,000 students voted for the Reveille to return to MSU, Hobart said.
“I am very excited about the support we have for the Reveille,” he said. “It’s something that will be a great benefit for our students to have.”
Hobart said the vote is a step forward in the process of bringing the yearbook to campus.
“Our next step is to choose a company to use and establish a process for this to happen,” he said.
Hobart said MSU will also assemble a new Reveille staff to create the yearbook.
“With the Reveille being gone since 2007, we have to start over,” Hobart said. “We are committed to doing our best to make this a reality.”
He said he feels the Reveille is a wonderful school tradition and hopes it will continue for many years to come.
“As large and great a piece of history that is for our university, we want to make sure we bring it back the right way to make it successful, long term,” Hobart said.
Hobart said he hopes MSU will publish a Reveille for the 2011-2012 school year.
“With the momentum and support we have for the Reveille right now, I want to do all I can to bring the Reveille back,” he said.