SA Senate discusses upcoming projects

Several issues and upcoming projects for the Mississippi State University were discussed at the Student Association Senate meeting on Tuesday night.
Halston Hales, SA vice president, led the meeting that included cabinet members as well as senators and was joined by Rhett Hobart, SA President, and Jackie Mullen, assistant director for Colvard Student Union, to emphasize the importance of several plans in the works for SA.
Bulldog Bash
Jackie Mullen said this event requires a tremendous amount of hard work and would not be accomplished without the efforts of SA volunteers.
“It is the largest outdoor concert in Mississippi, and expectations are high and are getting higher each year,” she said.
There will be a Dawg Rally in the Cotton District at 6:30 p.m. prior to the concerts. Jake Owen will perform at 8:15 p.m., followed by The Avett Brothers at 10:15 p.m. For a full list of events, go to msubulldogbash.org.
Homecoming Legislation
The SA student affairs committee is in the discussion stage of reviewing and possibly amending the homecoming ballot selection process. Senator Avent Clark said changes will be made soon on the selection process for Mr. and Miss MSU. She conducted a straw poll of SA members in attendance on whether they preferred three, four or five names on the ballot and said the committee was also discussing the possibility of a percentage of people nominated to appear on the ballot.
Upcoming Events
Today at 1:30 p.m. SA will join the Center for American Veterans in participating in Veterans’ Day ceremonies by laying wreaths on several memorials on campus. A shuttle will leave from behind the Longest Student Health Center, and the ceremony will conclude at 2:30 p.m. on the Drill Field, where flags will be on display.
On Sunday, SA will be assisting with the “Stop Hunger Now” food drive, which will happen from 2 to 4 p.m. at the Wesley Foundation.
Live Maroon and White Forever will take place Nov. 16 at 7 p.m. in Bettersworth Auditorium of Lee Hall and will celebrate the history and traditions of MSU.
SA will help host the Special Olympics at the Sanderson Center on Nov. 17.
Holiday in the Junction begins on Nov. 17 at 7:30 p.m. and will feature an ice skating rink in the amphitheater prior to the festivities in the Junction.
Upcoming Projects
Rhett Hobart, SA president, said the referendum on the Reveillepassed with 66 percent of the vote and the committee will meet next week to begin work on the details.
He also announced a grant proposal for Blue Cross/Blue Shield to build an outside walking track near Chadwick Lake.
The MSU campus will be undergoing major changes in the future, with a proposed $55 million classroom building, slated to be the most technologically advanced building in the country, behind the current YMCA building that has already been approved, Hobart said.
Campus will be more pedestrian friendly in the years to come as part of the master plan for MSU, he said. With the Lee Hall renovations, the demolition of Aiken Village and building of new apartment complexes in its place with long-term plans of adding businesses nearby in the future, MSU will be given a major facelift.
“Next summer, (one side) of campus will be under construction,” he said.
Hobart said SA is discussing ways to improve how teacher evaluations are conducted and published. There were suggestions of evaluations being conducted online, with reviews made available for everyone to see on a website.
Senate Business
Two bills were introduced by two different senators and both were referred to senate committees for further review. The bills will address changes to the referendum process and legislation to amend the requests for funding deadlines.
Senator Hudson Frey requested that the SA treasurer and president present a budget from the past two years at the first senate meeting of 2012.
“This is part of being more transparent,” he said. “When we appropriate money we don’t have a full understanding of the SA budget, and this is just for clarification.”