Court on the Road comes to MSU today

The Mississippi Court of Appeals will hear oral arguments at Mississippi State University’s campus today as part of the Court on the Road program.
The Appellate Court hears the cases of plaintiffs or defendants dissatisfied with a previous court verdict. Today, three of the judges will be at the Hunter Henry Center to listen to two separate oral arguments.
Each of the cases should last about an hour with 30 minutes for each side.
According to Chief Judge Joseph Lee, the judges are already familiar with the cases.
“We have thoroughly reviewed and read copies of the briefs that have been submitted by the parties,” Lee said.  “Before we ever take the bench to listen, we’re thoroughly familiar with all facts of the case and the issues that are going to be presented so we can have the opportunity to familiarize ourselves with the current laws that are applicable to those issues.”
The session will begin with a recitation of the case facts. The appellant, the lawyer of the person appealing the case, will then discuss the issues he believe led to an unfair trial. He or she will have 30 minutes to present the case, but there is an option to reserve some of that time for later. 
Next, the appellee, which is the state of Mississippi represented by the attorney general, will present his or her side for 30 minutes.
Finally, the lawyer appealing the case has the opportunity to use the time he or she previously reserved for a final rebuttal, Lee said.
According to an Associated Press article, the case of John Daniel Rodgers v. the State of Mississippi will be held at 1:15 p.m.
Rodgers was the fourth person convicted in a Monroe County home invasion case. He was convicted for the burglary and assault of an elderly couple in Amory that occurred in 2008, and he was sentenced to 15 years in prison.
The case of Darrell Walker v. the State of Mississippi will be held at 2:30 p.m.
According to a WLBT article, Walker was sentenced to life in prison without parole for the capitol murder of a Jackson nurse.  He was also convicted of auto theft for driving away in the victim’s car.  Law school students from the criminal appeals program at Ole Miss will present the arguments on behalf of Walker.
Whit Waide, a political science instructor and pre-law adviser, said students should utilize this educational opportunity.
“Any time a college student can get exposure to the real world, it’s a good thing,” Waide said.  “This is a way to see how a major pillar of our society works.”
Lee said there are benefits of attendance from the general public.
“There are so many misconceptions about how things are done legally,” Lee said.  “Most people just see Judge Judy or other small claims courts, and this provides an opportunity to see our real day-to-day work process.”
After the hearings, the panel of three judges will allow students to ask questions. They will accept questions about anything except the actual cases themselves, which the judges are not at liberty to discuss with the public.
Lee said the appellate court visits MSU once a year as a public service so people who otherwise would not make the trip to Jackson can have an opportunity to observe and see the court in action.
“We have always been treated with such kindness and hospitality at MSU,” Lee said.  “We really enjoy it, and we want to keep coming back.”
Taylor Luczak, president of Pre-Law Society and senior political science and Asian studies major, said he has attended the “Court on the Road” program at MSU for the past few years.
“It’s set up just like a court room,” Luczak said.  “It’s a great tool for law students; it often inspires them to continue their aspirations of going into law.”
A verdict will not be handed down on either of the cases until after the first of next year.