Student remembered as caring, studious

%26%23160%3B

Matthew Elliot Johnson, sophomore electrical engineering major, died February 19 due to a car crash on Locksley Way about 11:30 p.m.
Larry Johnson, Matthew’s father, said he was family-oriented, studious, caring and self-driven.
“He never was too busy to spend time as a family,” he said.  “When he was home, he took time for us.”
Larry Johnson said the best bonding experience with Matthew was when they would go on trips to ride dirt bikes.
“People just loved to be around him when we rode because he was respectful and genuinely cared,” he said.
He recalled at one camp there was a little girl who fell in love with Matthew. While everyone else was riding around, Matt sat with the girl.
“She sat in his lap and talked to him, and he just smiled,” he said.
Larry Johnson said Matthew was applying himself and enjoying his time as an electrical engineering major.
“He was self-driven and wanted to be the best,” he said. “He always studied on his own. We never had to beat him over the head [about studying].”
Larry Johnson said Matthew cared about other people’s feelings and could get along with anyone.
“Matthew shared everything with us,” he said.
Larry Johnson said as a young person, he had always believed there was a side of yourself that you never showed to your parents. However, after speaking to Matthew’s friends and looking into Matthew’s computer, Johnson saw that Matthew was not like that.
“The way that I thought he was is the way he really was,” he said.
Larry Johnson said Matthew just genuinely cared about people.
“We’re normal parents; we make mistakes,” he said. “It was as if he was beyond that.”
Johnson said he encouraged Matt to join a fraternity to be a part of something larger and also for all the opportunities it involves. After joining Sigma Nu, Johnson said Matt blossomed because of the exposure and meeting new people.
“I really saw him come into his own, and his confidence went way up,” he said.
Johnson said he encouraged Matthew to join a fraternity to be a part of something larger and also for all the opportunities it offers.
After joining Sigma Nu, Johnson said Matthew blossomed from the exposure and meeting new people. He served as head of philanthropy and chaplain.
Jonathan Jackson, Matthew’s Sigma Nu little brother, said Matthew was well-rounded, very involved and never met a stranger.
“He was definitely one of the most awesome people I know,” he said.
Jackson said he and Matthew would do everything together.
“If he didn’t do something, I didn’t it,” he said. “If I didn’t do it, he didn’t.”
Jackson said they would cook together and spent their last Thursday together cooking at 2 a.m.
He said he met Matthew through Sigma Nu, and they became best friends.
“He was a stand-up guy that touched a lot of people’s lives,” he said.
Johnson said he could not have asked for anything better from Matthew.
“He was a wonderful, wonderful son, grandson and brother,” he said. “I have no doubt where he is today because he was a good person. He really cared about people.”