Bulldog softball off to Las Vegas

There is nothing quite like the optimism and endless hope that comes with the beginning of a new season.
It is felt by almost every team in every sport that has ever been played. On opening day, all the teams are undefeated and have the potential to remain that way.
This is where the 2011 edition of the MSU softball team currently finds itself. The Dawgs are looking to rebound after a tough season in 2010 and restore the program to its winning ways.
Another issue facing the Dawgs is replacing one of the best players in the history of Bulldog softball, Chelsea Bramlett. Bramlett was the Dawgs starting catcher since joining the program as a freshman in 2007 and was named an All-American all four seasons spent in Starkville.
Bramlett also joined head coach Jay Miller on the United States national softball team the past two summers that captured back-to-back World Cup titles.
Miller is quick to point out that players like Bramlett do not come along often in a career.
“Replacing a four time All-American is something you just don’t do; it leaves a big hole in our lineup. We have some great freshmen coming in, and I think we recruited well to fill some of those spots,” Miller said.
Different players will be forced to fill the role of Bramlett at times, and this team has some players with the potential to do just that.
Leading the charge for this team is senior second baseman Ali Bainbridge. After starting all 55 games last season, her experience on defense will be very important to the Bulldogs, who only return four seniors.
Bainbridge said she feels that coming together as a team can go a long way toward on-the-field success.
“We lost some great players, but I’m really confident that we can step it up this year with the right attitude. As a senior, I definitely need to be a leader and make sure that we are all communicating,” Bainbridge said.
Another returnee from last year’s squad looking to make an impact is sophomore pitcher Kylie Vry. Vry burst onto the scene last year throwing a no-hitter in her first collegiate appearance.
She went on to make 26 appearances as a freshman and become one of the Dawgs’ featured pitchers.
After putting her first season in Starkville behind her, Vry is looking to make big gains from her experience.
“It is going to be a lot different this year. I know we still have a young team, but as pitchers we have all grown a lot. Last year our confidence just wasn’t there, and we have worked very hard this off season to get to where we are now,” Vry said.
Vry is part of a young pitching staff for the Bulldogs that Miller looks toward to anchor the team against some tough opponents.
“I think we are better on the mound this year than we were last year. We have everybody back; we are a lot deeper on the mound and a lot healthier on the mound,” Miller said.
The Dawgs have some lofty expectations, and to reach them, the Bulldogs will be clashing with some of the nation’s premier talent, according to Miller.
“Three of the top five teams in the country are in the SEC, so it is a challenge every time you go out there. From top to bottom the SEC is the strongest conference in the country,” Miller said.
The Dawgs streak of getting to the postseason was snapped at three after last season, and this year’s team is looking to start a streak of its own.
The Bulldogs will open the 2011 season on Feb. 11 at the Sportco Kickoff Classic in Las Vegas.
Some players said they want to take it one game at a time, but Miller has great expectations for this group.
“Our seniors have provided some great leadership for this team, and this is the hardest working group we have had here in 10 years. We start every year with really the same expectations: to qualify for the SEC and NCAA Tournaments and to compete for SEC Championships,” Miller said.