Letters essential to paper’s integrity

As the official student newspaper of Mississippi State University, The Reflectorstrives to echo the voices of those it represents.
    Through letters to the editor, those within the MSU community can vocalize their opinions. Letters to the editor ensure The Reflectorcovers a wide-range representation of the thoughts of readers and can make different perspectives known.
    The opinion section of The Reflectoris not just meant to provide a voice to columnists or the editorial board, the contents of the section should also include views from students. Without these contributions, the newspaper is missing a vital element — reader reactions.
    Although we cannot guarantee the publication of every letter, receiving feedback from our audience is an important part of the print process.
    Letters can be about columns or editorials run in the opinion section or something else that affects the MSU community.
    To increase chances of publication, letters should be based upon facts and be clear and focused. Letters should also be written as professionally and as grammatically correct as possible. Although it is important to be passionate about the point being argued, it is also important to remember to be respectful to others. It is possible to create an argument without berating someone else for his or her beliefs.
    Letters to the editor should be sent to the Meyer Student Media Center or mailed to The Reflector, P.O. Box 5407, Mississippi State, MS. Letters can also be emailed to[email protected]. Letters must include a name and telephone number for verification purposes. We reserve the right to edit or to refuse to publish a letter.
    The Reflector‘s website, reflector-online.com, also has options to give feedback. By creating an account, students can post comments under articles and make their opinions known. Anyone with a Facebook account can post comments on articles via Facebook as well. On occasion, these comments will be published in the opinion section.
    After every issue, an online poll will be posted focusing on one article, usually from sports or news. The poll can be found on the front of The Reflector‘s website, and the results will be published the next edition.
    The Reflectoralso has an official Twitter account, @reflectoronline and the news, life and sports sections can be followed at: @NewsReflector, @LifeReflector and @SportsReflector. The purpose of these accounts is to provide readers with updates and to interact with followers.
    If you have an opinion you would like to voice, don’t be afraid to contribute. Through your support, The Reflectorbecomes a better newspaper because, as a staff, we better learn to represent our audience.
    Hannah Rogers is the editor in chief of The Reflector. She can be contacted at [email protected].