Student Association, Athletic Department promote MSU athletics

Mississippi State University’s Athletic Department and Student Association have partnered to increase student support for athletics.
The new True Maroon theme will be unveiled during Saturday’s spring football game, Rhett Hobart, SA president, said.
“True Maroon brings [MSU] traditions to the forefront,” he said. “The [themes are those] students can recognize and relate to but [that] carry a historical aspect.”
A video will be played at the game revealing the new T-shirt design, which will be released during summer Orientation, he said.
Chad Thomas, director of athletic marketing, said True Maroon has grown since its inception.
“It’s a motto now,” he said. “It’s a rallying cry: This is who we are, we’re a big family and I’m proud to show my school spirit.”
True Maroon expanded last year by partnering with Adidas, Thomas said.
“The athletic department, the student association and Adidas work hand-in-hand to keep [the T-shirts] $10,” he said.
This is the second year for True Maroon to partner with United Way, which receives $1 from each T-shirt sold. Last year, a check was written to United Way for $13,000, Hobart said.
“It is a great testament that fans and students not only support MSU, but the community,” he said.
Themes of the past have been Maroon and White, Bully and Hail State.
“We had a battle cry that was underused,” Hobart said. “[Hail State] was then picked up by Twitter and other social media.”
Hobart said he hopes to see True Maroon evolve in the future.
“We have seen great support from our fans, and I’m excited about the support it provides for the student athletes and the history of the university.”
SA is working with the orientation leaders to start a True Maroon initiative with the incoming freshman, Thomas said. The athletic department will also have a table at the student organization fair at the summer orientations, he said.
“[Students] ask how they can get involved, and it’s never too early to get involved,” he said.
SA and the athletic department will be holding a giveaway for students at the spring football game to generate excitement for the students, Thomas said.
“We want to let the students know we need their support. It is their peers playing at the football game Saturday,” he said. “When you get that support, it’s contagious. Alumni come back [for the spring game], which is why it is a spring homecoming of sorts.”
Thomas said he understands not everyone will stay, but the game will be on live TV and he wants the stadium to be full.
“We want the students to be a part of it,” he said.
The Bulldog Coalition, a program that gives students prizes for attending athletic events based on a points system, encourages students to attend all athletic events, Hobart said.
“It will encourage students to support other teams that are so successful. It’s a win-win. [Students] earn prizes with the coalition, and they support the athletes,” he said.
The Bulldog Coalition will be pushed at the incoming freshman, Thomas said. He said the points also translate into the Bulldog Club after graduation.
“It is important [to get involved] now as ever,” he said. “This season we have a waiting list for football tickets. The earlier [students] get involved, the better.”
Hobart said he is working with the athletic department to host the Cowbell Yell, a midnight pep rally that would take place before the first home game of the football season.
“There’s so much passion for athletics at Mississippi State, and next year, I want the freshman class to share that passion and get involved [with athletics],” he said.
The Cowbell Yell was developed from the midnight Dawg Rallies of the past.  The athletic department is currently working on the logistics, Thomas said.
“Since the first home game [of the season] is on a Thursday night, do we [hold the pep rally] the weekend before or that Wednesday night.  We [are looking at which decision] best serves everyone,” he said.
Wearing maroon on Fridays will be pushed next year, as well, Thomas said.
“[Students] can show [their] pride and school spirit,” he said.
In the upcoming year, Thomas said he hopes excitement is generated among the students for athletics.
“Students [in the past] have come out in full force for the football games,” he said. “We look to break our ticket sellout record again.”
Hobart said he wants to increase student support for all athletic events, including the smaller sports at MSU.
“We have so many great sports. We truly have to support every student athlete we have,” he said.
Scott Stricklin, athletic director, said great student leadership has created initiatives like the Cowbell Yell.
“[The athletic department strives] to work with the student body and student leadership,” he said.