Social media infiltrates MSU classrooms

Social media use has expanded in recent years and will more than likely continue to grow as technology evolves.
             Campus organizations rely on technology to keep students informed. The average student performs at least some type of work online, whether it is homework, a quiz or an actual test.
             Pete Smith, assistant professor communication, said the use of social media in classes can serve as an important reference point to check the information being taught.           
             “Students have the capability to learn from social media,” said Smith. “It depends on how it’s used.”
             Cheryl Chambers, communication instructor, said in an email that social media in the classroom makes the class more dynamic.
             Chambers has used Facebook as a part of her courses for the last three years. Each class section has a group and participation is not mandatory, but incentives like extra points are offered.
             “I think Facebook helps students think about the class and material in different ways,” Chambers said.
                The social networking connection gives her students a feeling of comfort because it makes her seem more approachable to them and opens up conversation, said Chambers. She rarely invites students as friends but almost always accepts a friend request, she said.

Students should be cautious, though. The general rules for social media include using a heavy filter before posting anything and always remembering who sees  the posts, Smith said.
    When it comes to students and teachers having a social networking bond, each party should keep profiles clean, avoid saying anything negative about the other or school and have tight security settings, because damage can be done quickly, Chambers said.
             John Nicholson, assistant professor of communication, said social media can be a positive tool for education. Right now, sites like Twitter are most effective for students in a crisis or in case of an important event.
             Dr. Donna L. Clevinger, communication professor, agreed laptops are valuable if “students stay on point” with the course.
             Social media in the classroom, unmonitored, can be the electronic equivalent of passing notes in class, Smith said.
             Though it is much easier to post documents and messages on continuous education sites such as MyCourses, social networking will probably be used in classrooms in the future as graduate assistants move forward and take their preferred forms of technology with them, said Nicholson.
             For now, sites like MyCourses must be appreciated. MSU is more technologically advanced than other schools, and  Clevinger said students should be grateful to the management for the upkeep of the systems.
             Social media will expand and gain popularity in the future and should not be ignored by educators, said Chambers. It must be used responsibly to enhance the learning experience, not to create a casual attitude for the course, she added.
             “I believe MyCourses will soon shift to have a social media component and that could really open up the possibilities,” Chambers said, “I’m looking forward to that day.”