MSU may have the most skilled ball-handlers , but will the offensive line give them a chance

Dan Mullen came to Mississippi State knowing it would take time to build an offensive unit with the right players for his spread offense, but if Saturday’s Maroon-White scrimmage was any indication, the third-year head coach has stockpiled the skill players he needs.
Granted, you can only tell so much from a scrimmage in which the game plans are kept as simple as possible, but six players – all of whom are juniors or younger – racking up 50 yards or more receiving says a lot about the talent Mullen has brought in with his first two recruiting classes.
Factor in running backs LaDarius Perkins and Vick Ballard, and it starts to look like there might not be enough touches to go around next year. Sophomore Ricco Sanders lead all receivers in the scrimmage with 96 yards, and redshirt freshmen Robert Johnson and Brandon Hill both had 74 yards receiving for the Maroon team. Chad Bumphis’s six receptions were a game high in that category.
Even in a scrimmage, guys like Michael Carr and versatile speedster Jameon Lewis went without catching a pass, which shows how competitive the wide receiver position has become.
Although this could easily be the most talented crop of skill players for MSU this side of 2000, there is still one glaring question mark for the Bulldog offense – and it was apparent in Saturday’s scrimmage.
If the offensive line cannot protect Chris Relf, who was banged up a lot last season, having a stable of receivers could be all for naught. September’s season opener against Memphis is still a long way away, but replacing All-SEC left tackle Derek Sherrod and center J.C. Brignone will not be easy.
The White team’s offensive line struggled in the Maroon-White game as quarterback Tyler Russell got sacked four times and defensive linemen Fletcher Cox and Josh Boyd had a field day in the backfield.
After the game, offensive line coach John Hevesy said he would like to see younger guys like Archie Muniz and Eric Lawson make the same progression Gabe Jackson made last offseason before the 2010 season that saw him named All-Freshman SEC.
Hevesy also said he has no problem with playing both James Carmon and redshirt freshman Blaine Clausell at left tackle. Although Carmon is a senior, this is his first time playing on the offensive line, so he will take more time to develop.
Putting together an offensive line from this group that can hold its own against SEC defensive lines will be a challenge for Hevesy, and one with potential to have a huge impact on the 2011 season.

Interesting mix in linebacker and backup quarterback battles
Although offensive line is a question mark for the offense, linebacker is the biggest unanswered question for Chris Wilson and Geoff Collin’s defensive unit. There’s no way to replace guys like K.J. Wright and Chris White and expect similar production, but the new group of linebackers may be able to provide more versatility while helping out with pass protection.
Cameron Lawrence and Brandon Wilson are the most experienced players in the group, and behind them a handful of younger guys will compete for playing time. Also, Clemson transfer Brandon Maye will add more depth to the unit and compete for a starting job when he begins practice in August.
With Relf only playing in the first quarter, Saturday’s scrimmage gave us a good look at the backup quarterbacks. Dylan Favre had a big day with 55 yards rushing and 199 yards passing, and the redshirt freshman even led the game-winning drive for the Maroon team.
Favre said after the game he believes he can compete for the starting role, but I would be shocked to see him jump Relf on the depth chart. It should be an interesting position battle between Favre, Russell and freshman dual-threat quarterback Dak Prescott for the backup role in 2011 and then the starting job in 2012.