Volunteer Week offers service opportunities

The Maroon Volunteer Center and Volunteer Starkville will celebrate National Volunteer Week by offering a wide range of volunteer opportunities next Monday through Friday.
According to its website,  MVC supports a variety of other service programs such as Service DAWGS, Community Service United and Break Away.  This is the first year the MVC has supported National Volunteer Week.
The website said the goal of National Volunteer Week is to inspire individuals to meet the challenges of their communities and get involved to make positive changes. 
Community, state and national leaders have supported the movement since 1974.  The website said Americans worked 30 million volunteer hours last year at a value of $600 million.
Addie Herman, the AmeriCorps VISTA from the MVC, said helping out with National Volunteer Week is beneficial for everyone involved.
“I believe students should get involved because it’s a great chance to meet other students with the same passion for volunteering and to help out the community, as well,” said Herman.
Elizabeth Dubois, the AmeriCorps VISTA from Volunteer Starkville, said National Volunteer Week is not only about serving others but that it is also dedicated to those volunteers who are making a difference.
“Volunteer Week is about service recognition,” Dubois said.  “Everyone who participated will be given credit for their work on Friday’s ceremony.”
The event will begin Monday from 10 a.m. and last until 2 p.m. on MSU’s campus in 407 South Hall.  Volunteers will check in and pick up their T-shirts provided by the MVC.  At 10 a.m. the MVC will also give a presentation titled “Volunteering Can Open Doors to a New Career — Here’s How!”
Operation Gratitude will be held Tuesday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on MSU’s Drill Field.  Participants will be given pens and paper to write letters, which will be sent to deployed military personnel.  The MVC will also collect donated supplies going to the Recovery House in Columbus from drop-off locations on and off campus Tuesday. 
Volunteers can help sort and clean up merchandise at the Palmer Home Thrift Store Wednesday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Volunteers will clean up the Cotton District Thursday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. in preparation for the Cotton District Arts Festival the following weekend.
On Friday volunteers will organize and distribute materials collected from the Recovery House supply drive from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.   All volunteers who participate during National Volunteer Week are invited by the MVC to come by 407 South Hall to pick up a certificate and refreshments.
Matt Bethea, a sophomore  mechanical engineering major, said he is eager to lend a helping hand.
“I think it would be great to help our school and our community through volunteering,” Bethea said.  “It gives me a really good feeling to help out other people, and it helps out a resume, too.”
Bethea is the president of Alpha Phi Omega, a co-ed service fraternity that focuses on volunteering and helping others.  He said he recommends students who want to continue to volunteer and make a difference to look into joining Alpha Phi Omega.
“Anyone can join; it builds a lot of good qualities and character in a person,” Bethea said.
 To participate in the on-campus activities, students only need to show up at that day’s activity.