The Garden Center rivals best venues in town

If you have lived in Starkville for more than a few weeks, like music and appreciate a great party, then chances are you have heard of The Garden Center. If you have not, take my word for the fact you have been missing out.
The Garden Center is named for its proximity to the old plant/flower store that was The Garden Center, and as a party location, collectively refers to a house and the barn-like building behind the old shop. This homemade venue off Highway 182 has been redefined the “house party” for the past couple of years now.
MSU students Casey McKay, Taylor Gair and Tyler Russell occupy the house along with Nathan Herring. Herring’s parents own the home, as well as the old store, and are — to the delight of many — okay with the boys throwing parties in the area.
And throw parties they do. The diverse Garden Center crowd has grown to such massive proportions with the help of New Orleans based folk/rock/dance band The Blue Party. The Blue Party is a different breed of musical fun; a self-proclaimed “house party” band that has evolved into a traveling party of its own. The Blue Party experience is unique and has created its own genre, described delightfully by the band as AMERIPARTY.
The Blue Party’s third show at The Garden Center was April 1, an event appropriately dubbed “Fool’s Ball.” With a crowd that easily exceeded 200 people, several tapped kegs and the music of The Blue Party and Space Capone, this party was one for Starkville’s history books. The Blue Party got the crowd in such a happy, dancing mood that a visit from Starkville Police with an order to turn the volume down did not even phase the energy level in the backyard.
After several “Blue Party, F— Yeah!” chants between the crowd and band, The Blue Party finished and folks moved inside to enjoy the music of Space Capone without further police interference. Around 1 a.m. with no less energy, the crowd began to fill the dusty barn. There were people from ceiling to floor, thanks to the half-pipe Herring and Gair built in the barn years ago, and after every available space was filled, Space Capone began to rock off what was remaining of faces.
Close to 2:30 a.m. I was able to sit down with a few members of The Blue Party. As we talked music, played Words with Friends and smoked hookah, I came to understand being friends with their fans is important to them. Vocalist/guitarist/banjo player Reid Martin talked about how much he liked the crowd at The Garden Center.
“The goal of The Blue Party is to unite everyone under the umbrella of party,” said Martin. “This is the best f—ing house party we’ve ever played.”
No wonder Starkville, Miss., gets its very own shout-out on The Blue Party website in the band information page.
“People treat us so well here,” said guitarist Alex Bachari. He and Martin were very interested in playing more in Starkville, and mentioned they want most to play at Bulldog Bash (hint, Music Makers).
Thanks to The Blue Party and Space Capone, the Fool’s Ball party was the best Garden Center party yet. At no bar in town will you see such a diverse group of people come together in high spirits to enjoy music, each other’s company and a respectable amount of beer.
Gair said he and his roommates are happy to provide such a service.
“It’s pretty much the most fun thing I’ve ever been a part of,” Gair said. “Having that many people at your house having the time of their lives is very gratifying. People are constantly coming up to us and thanking and congratulating us. It’s something I’ll never forget and I hope we’re helping create some great memories for the people that attend.”