Depression rates highlight importance of optimism

It is time to move on. From what, you may be asking? Everything.

A study released this year in the American Journal of Orthopsychiatry showed one in four college students has issues with depression. It is not hard to see why this would be the case, even here at Mississippi State.
This school year has included the loss of numerous students, some due to sickness or accidents and others to suicide.
This does not even include the international tragedies which seem to take place on a weekly basis or maybe even a personal relationship you have watched fall apart. Throw in a lagging job market plus those few extra pounds you may have packed on, and to put it mildly, the 2010-11 school year has been less than stellar for many of us.
While even I want to eat a pallet of Oreos and cuddle with my 26 cats after that somber assessment, there is one bit of advice I want to offer those who feel the sky is falling: suck it up.
Now you may see this as being insensitive, but there comes a time when our mourning or solitude must end and we go forward.
When we continue to take pity upon ourselves, we expect others to help us throughout our misfortunes indefinitely, and this is fair to no one.
Friends have to postpone schoolwork or place their careers on hold just to comfort your extended grief and this cannot be asked of them long-term.
We should never hold others back from achieving their goals simply because we want to stay in a phase of sorrow. You may not want your friends to sacrifice their objectives, but many of us will do it out of guilt.
Let yourself enjoy life again so everyone involved can return to some form of normalcy. Your friends can only tell you the same advice so many times before even they get tired of handling your emotional baggage.
If moving forward is too hard, consult a counselor here on campus and begin the process of healing in a healthy manner. Even though you may trust a friend more when disclosing your inner thoughts, you might benefit from consulting a non-biased professional.
Perhaps some trips to the Sanderson could help you; this will combat all that comfort food you have been relying on. It also wouldn’t hurt if you played some of your favorite guilty-pleasure songs and belted them out. Celine Dion has gotten me through many tough nights with my cats. 
Regardless of where you find help (and it won’t be at a bar), all that is important is  you take yourself and your friends out of misery by being positive. 
In full self-disclosure, this article is my way of moving on. Writing about your situation at hand allows you to fully grasp the finality of the past.
Maybe you should follow suit.
Friends can only help you for so long before your antics finally wear thin and, just like your life, they will disappear.
It’s time to break out of the rut this school year has dug for you and be happy. Appreciate those you may have lost or given up on, but allow yourself to relish what life has in store. 
The only life worth living is a happy one. So do something positive for yourself and go obtain it. As the wise Lady Gaga tells us, “Don’t be a drag; just be a queen.” I am not saying go out and become Gaga-gay, but go out and get happy-gay.
Whichever lifestyle or emotion you decide to pursue, it’s far better than being a negative Nancy or melancholy Maury.After all, your situation could always be worse.
Patrick Young is a graduate student in public policy and administration. He can be contacted at [email protected]