MSU student lobbying group visits Jackson

Wednesday, Mississippi State University’s Bulldog Interest Group traveled to Jackson for Cowbells to the Capitol.
Brooke Harris, director of the group, said the initiative allowed people from the group to be introduced to both the Senate and the House of Representatives. It also gave the students an opportunity to eat lunch with some of the senators. The day included handing out miniature cowbells to senators and representatives.
“It really helps increase Mississippi State’s presence on the hill,” she said.
Harris said the interest group has students go there every week but said today was a particularly big push for the group to meet people.
“It’s an incredible experience because we get to meet people who are impacting everything we do pretty much,” she said. “Being able to watch the legislative process is very educational and eye-opening for us.”
Harris said funding is one of the group’s focuses, and they recently helped MSU receive $18 million in bond bills.
She said this is the group’s first year on campus, and Blake Jeter, former SA president, originally had the idea.
“Most SEC schools had committees that did this,” Harris said. “[The SA] decided students needed a voice in the legislature.”
She said students can get involved with the group through the SA cabinet, committees or simply volunteering. Committee applications go out in the fall every year.
“It’s a great way to get involved, not just on campus, but in the state,” Harris said.