Carrasco makes impact in MSU’s first two games

Courtesy photo

Miranda Carrasco, a freshman defender from Cypress, Texas shields the ball from SFA player.

In her first 84 minutes of action at Mississippi State University (2-0), Miranda Carrasco, a freshman defender from Cypress, Texas, impacted the game for the Bulldogs with an assist.

“I’m really glad I can come in and contribute to the team immediately and effectively,” Carrasco said. “That was my plan coming in whenever I first was trying to come in and prepare last summer, whenever I graduated from high school and came last semester.”

Head coach Tom Anagnost said Carrasco has made a positive impact on the team as she tallied up three assists in her first two starts. He added that he hopes her character is contagious and spreads to the team because of how hard she prepares for games.

“She graduated early, and was really really prepared,” Anagnost said. “She is an over-trainer, wish we had more self motivated kids like that. She’s a kid who can not sleep because she does not think she has done enough. Obviously, those characteristics, those intrinsically-motivated people are people who are highly successful.”

Carrasco said she wants to help her team get to where they want to be in the future by continuing to work and never settling. As for what that future is, she said the team is always striving to be SEC champions, but also has sights on the NCAA tournament.

“We would love to strive to be SEC champions, of course,” Carrasco said. “Also make the NCAA tournament, because I knew they were really close last year. It was just by a little thing that did not let them go in. So hopefully we can go in without any excuses or exceptions.”

So far this season, the team has not given up a goal and the goalkeeper has only faced two shots. Anagnost said this is due to the team’s united defense and their attacking, as they have also scored six goals. Carrasco spoke highly of the team bonds of the backline.

“The defenders and the goalie–that is a whole other story, because we are like our own family,” Carrasco said. “It is really just a family and a good atmosphere that we have created because of everything we have been through from last season and this season through practicing in this summer. We have just gotten extremely close.”

Carrasco believes the backline, which has only given up two shots on goal in a 180 minutes of play, can improve by clearing the ball out of their defensive third and making good decisions. She is also looking forward to how they will improve as the season progresses.

“Anything can get better, there is a lot of room for improvement all of the time,” Carrasco said. “Im for sure know we will get better, and I am excited to see how we will effectively go throughout the season and how we will perform in the games when we learn everything, and it is going to be really great. I’m really excited.”