Volunteerism is thriving at MSU

Volunteerism is alive and well at Mississippi State University as several departments and organizations on campus call for student involvement.
The Cowbell Cleanup, hosted through MSU’s department of sustainability, is a program accepting volunteers throughout the semester. Student volunteers will provide trash bags and sharing information on Maroon Goes Green to football game tailgaters.
The Cowbell Cleanup takes place before every home game and prospective volunteers will meet three hours before each kickoff in the Junction at the white tent reading, “Maroon Goes Green.” Volunteers will get a t-shirt and water bottle for participating.
Christine Lashley, sustainability coordinator for MSU, started this program to promote a greener campus, especially since there is an influx of litter during football games.
“We want our volunteers to walk around the Junction and talk to guests on campus, educating them about recycling on campus and encouraging them not to litter and to bag up their trash,” Lashley said.
While participating in the Cowbell Cleanup does not require prior registration, opportunities in the MSU Community Garden Service or the Health Service Volunteer program have sign up sheets and/or application deadlines.
Meggan Franks, assistant director of Student Leadership and Community Engagement at MSU, said Garden Service, located behind MSU’s landscape architecture building, recruits students at the beginning of each semester and accepts signup forms online. The construction for the garden began in the fall of 2017 and is scheduled to be completed October of this year.
Volunteering with the garden is an ideal opportunity for anyone who cannot easily travel off-campus, and currently, a shift is available Wednesday from 3 to 5 p.m. 
“Volunteering for the garden can help students learn about their local community and become more civic-minded individuals that will one day lead the communities of tomorrow,” Franks said.
The Health Service Volunteer organization has an application process with the deadline of Sept. 5 to apply. Students must have a 2.5 GPA or higher to be accepted into this program, as it is considered to be a Health Service Volunteer Internship opportunity.
Roughly 50-70 students are accepted every semester, and the service hours range weekly and monthly, depending on how much each individual would like to take on. However, the minimum number of hours students can work is 20 per semester.
Christina Gladney, advisor for the Health Service Volunteer organization, said there are different ways to earn hours, including assisting at larger events on-campus.
“We go out on the Drill Field to do health education Monday through Thursday on normal school days, so volunteers get an opportunity to earn hours by going out and educating their fellow peers about different health topics,” Gladney said.
During these Drill Field days, the topics change based on nationally-recognized days, weeks or months specific to health issues.
“We just stay consistent with those dates that have already been set aside to raise awareness for whatever the health topic may be,” Gladney said.
These opportunities are only a small glimpse at the volunteer options available during the year, many of which can be accessed on OrgSync.
“If it is something you’re passionate about, you’ll get the satisfaction that you’ve helped to do your part,” Lashley said.