Letter to the editor

Dear Editor,
While I understand freedom of the press, I cannot help but say I am a little disappointed in The Reflector publishing a story on the front page about a #metoo protest, then letting Chris Lowe write an opinion piece on page four, saying the movement is failing in its original objective and no longer viable.
I must say, Editor, I totally disagree. This article did nothing but help perpetuate rape culture by sprinkling doubts on what he calls an “overdue” movement.
Chris Lowe claims, in the sixth paragraph, women are using the #metoo movement to gain attention, money and revenge. Does he have any actual statistics to back up this outrageous and egregious claim? It is not that the women who choose to speak out are being overshadowed, but they are silenced by political parties who say they are trying to gain attention, money and revenge.
In the next paragraph, he stated men are now afraid to compliment women in any way, touch them or be alone with them. I see this as false and degrading toward men who have a brain and are not total creeps. It is possible to compliment a woman, touch her and be alone with her, without her feeling like you are degrading or harassing her.
He also claims men are constantly having to “watch ourselves” around women. The tone he claims is a “bad thing” is exactly what women have been fighting for in the #metoo movement. Yes, watch yourself. We have a voice and we are not afraid to use it. Men should keep an arms-length approach to women professionally all the time, and personally until consent is given. If not, then yes, please keep yourself at arms-length.
He also claims because men are now shaking in their little boots, it is hurting women in the workplace, resulting in fewer opportunities for them. Um, hello–this is illegal! You cannot discriminate against someone in the workplace based on their sex. So when he quoted Katherine Tarbox of HBR saying women are not being hired because men are scared, tells me two things: first off, this is illegal, and secondly, only guilty men are scared of women.
Why be scared of us and keep us at arms-length unless you have a reason? They must be nervous they have done something which could be misconstrued. If you are completely innocent, then you should be supporting the movement, not nervous or scared of it. It is like the old adage goes, “Where there is smoke, there is fire.”
How about not giving a woman any reason whatsoever to think you are being creepy? Have you tried this? Most of us learn as children to think before we speak. Therefore, if men think it is going to be creepy, or even borderline creepy, and decide to keep their mouths shut and hands to themselves, then there will be no report to add to the #metoo movement.
Understand? Good.
The fact men are scared is showing our #metoo movement is working. It is showing how our collective voice is being heard. As a survivor of rape and sexual assault, who chose to speak out, I am certainly thankful for it. The movement has even had #WhyIDidntReport on Twitter trending, with men and women sharing why they chose or were forced to stay silent. In a society which perpetuates rape myths, rape culture and re-victimization of survivors, I am proud to be a voice of the #metoo movement.
So Mr. Lowe, I know you do not think it is working, but I can tell you, you are wrong. I am woman, and you just heard my roar. #metoo