Helping refugees benefits the U.S.

Helping refugees benefits the U.S.
Helping refugees benefits the U.S.

A caravan to the U.S., a modern-day procession to the “Promised Land,” has taken place since Oct. 16. Starting from Honduras, the caravan has gained traction, people and media attention in each country along the way.
Reasons for keeping immigrants out of America come from the construction of false narratives, economic motivations and legal claims. However, most of these reasons are myths and a distraction from the corruption happening within our country.  
The narrative prominent political leaders are constructing is how these caravans are filled with criminals and they are “infiltrating” our country. This is simply untrue.
According to William Cunningham of USA Today, Carlos Cortez, a farmer from Honduras, said he is making the journey because he makes about $5 a day, which is not enough to support his family. He hopes to make a better living in America. 
According to The World Bank, 66 percent of Hondurans live in poverty. Most of these people crossing the border want a better life for their families and will do anything necessary. 
Since these migrants are running from immense turmoil in their home countries, they can be considered refugees through asylum.
According to Kennji Kizuka of human rights first, asylum can be administered through interviews at the border, where border control personnel determine if a migrant is in enough detriment in their own country to gain access into the U.S.
Another myth fueled by Trump is asylum cannot be granted in the U.S. if the migrants do not request asylum from Mexico first.
Kizuka also explains how the U.S. grants asylum to migrants, even if they do not get asylum from countries they are passing through. “United States law generally does not require asylum seekers to request protection in the countries they passed through while fleeing to the United States. Asylum seekers cannot be expected to request protection in a country that does not offer refugees legal recognition, lacks a functioning asylum system, places severe restrictions on refugees, or where that country is not itself safe,” said Kizuka.  
Concerning the economic facet, a common myth claims refugees take jobs from hard-working Americans. In fact, refugees help boost the economy and fill employment positions most Americans do not want. 
Challenging the myth, Laurel Dalstead of Rescue.org explains migrants actually contribute a significant amount to America’s economy. “Over the past decade, refugees have contributed $63 billion more than they cost, according to a recent report commissioned by Trump’s own administration,” Dalstead says.
Additionally, according to Peter Andreas of The Center of Comparative Immigration Studies, completely closing off the borders can lead to economic downfalls in towns across the border.
For example, “Retail sales in U.S. border cities immediately plummeted as Mexican shoppers stayed south of the border. The city of San Diego declared a state of economic emergency due to the business downturn after September 11. […] Cross-border trade, which had been running at about $670 million, fell by an average of 15 percent in the weeks following the attacks. Most severely affected were electronics, textiles, chemicals, and Mexican factories supplying just-in-time parts to U.S. auto companies,” explained Andreas.  
Not only that, capitalism, the economic system our country so strongly and ignorantly holds on to, breeds this tolerance of greed and an intolerance of morality and virtue. It has recently become the norm to turn people away, which may affect this system. However, if we welcome these migrants, they may actually help our economy.
The economic debunking of the caravan crisis is important to note, but the ethical issue is just as significant. The fact ] this caravan of people thinks the idea of trekking thousands of miles with little food, water and shelter is more appealing than staying in their home countries, illustrates the poverty and uninhabitable situations from which these people are running. 
Reverend Jim Martin of Jesuit Magazine explains many Christian conservatives say immigrants crossing the border is legally wrong, and therefore, is ethically wrong. I would love to point out that just because something is a law, does not mean it is morally or ethically right. History tells us the segregation and marginalization of minorities thrived, and continue to thrive in this country because they were justified under laws. 
Let us not be deceived, America. Our nation has many other real problems we should focus on in this upcoming Midterm Election. The refugees from these Central American countries are families who simply want better for their children and grandchildren.
They are not the problem. The only problem is the false narratives and economic arguments keeping them out of the U.S. This problem stems from the nurturing of greed from our leaders and media which sprouts the bigotry of others crossing our borders.