Patti LaBelle brings soul to Starkville

Award-winning soul singer Patti LaBelle will perform at 7 p.m. Nov. 15 in Bettersworth Auditorium as part of the Lyceum Series.

LaBelle is most known for her contributions to soul throughout the music industry. This “Godmother of Soul” has been involved in the industry for over 50 years, in which time she has been awarded a Grammy for the “Best Female R&B Vocal Performance,” named in the “Top 100 Singers of All Time” by Rolling Stone, inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame, included in the Hollywood Walk of Fame and sold over 50 million records. Among her most famous hits are “If You Only Knew,” “Lady Marmalade” and “Somebody Loves You Baby.”

The artist also contributed to a variety of genres beyond R&Bm including pop and disco. Outside of singing, LaBelle also acted in the film “A Soldier’s Story” and the popular television show, “American Horror Story: Freak Show.” Claiming yet another title, she hosted two of her own TV shows, “Out All Night” and “Living It Up with Patti LaBelle.” Lastly, she is known by many for her famous Sweet Potato Pie and “Patti LaBelle Fancy Cakes.”

The famous singer’s performance is part of MSU’s Lyceum series, which provides the MSU campus with opportunities to experience a variety of the performing arts.

Bradley Hill, assistant director of the Center for Student Activities and Lyceum committee member, said he is thrilled the series is offering students an experience to see the highly acclaimed singer.

“We are excited to bring her to campus and expose students and the Starkville community to her great, legendary music,” Hill said. “Legendary singers are not around much anymore, so this is a great opportunity to enjoy a traditional soul performance.”

Hill said, as a result of LaBelle’s spontaneous performance style, no set list has been concretely determined.

“She usually does that off-the-cuff, based on how she feels, but there will be a full performance with no openers, so she will be spending a good 60 to 90 minutes on the stage singing and conversing with the crowd,” Hill said.

At 74 years old, LaBelle is “still in great health” according to Hill.

Ben Wolfe, Twin Citys Arts Reader reviewer, noted in a recent concert review that LaBelle “still has it” and “uses energy, warmth, and some great moves… to build her performance.”

Wolfe said LaBelle’s performance quality has not dwindled over the years as she continues to shine.

“LaBelle has been on the music scene for more than half a century, but she is still a commanding, captivating singer with an impressive vocal range,” Wolfe said.

Music Maker Productions is sponsoring the event and will assist with the preparation of the concert.

Bailey Berry, publicity chair for Music Makers Productions, said she is excited to participate with this event because of her love for music and LaBelle specifically.

“Music Makers is excited to support the Lyceum Series with the Patti LaBelle concert. We are always look for opportunities to bring live music to campus,” Berry said. “I am very excited to see Patti LaBelle because I grew up listening to ‘Lady Marmalade’ and cannot wait to sing along to her in live concert.”

Tickets can be purchased through the Lyceum Series’ page on the official MSU website. Though Lyceum events are usually free for students, this event requires purchased tickets. However, discounted prices for students are available and will be priced in tiered-fashion, so students better “guiche, guiche ya ya” tickets before it is too late.