There is more to Starkville than alcohol and debauchery

Starkville is generally known for two things: booze and sports. For this reason, I feel some new students who are not interested in things like this, may have apprehensions toward the prospect of having fun while attending MSU.
While in fact, Mississippi State University’s community offers things to align with the desires of the prototypical college student, it offers much more as well. Some of these activities fly under the radar, but they do exist, and I believe it to be a responsibility of older students to educate incoming freshman on the lesser-known hotspots.
While Rick’s, Cowbells and the like pull much weight in the defining of Starkville’s nightlife, the array of unique eateries in town define its very identity. To me, the various burger joints lead the way: Bulldog Burger, Christy’s and the crown jewel of Starkville food, Mugshots, all feature delicious, inexpensive hamburgers, each bringing with it a unique atmosphere.
Lost Pizza and Stromboli’s give residents a break from the monotony of delivered pizza for, once again, affordable prices.
For the most Southern eating experience, one could try out Moe’s or The Little Dooey, which both provide excellent bar-b-que. In fact, while driving through town, the smell of bar-b-que is frequently in the air, so all you need to do is follow your nose.
The opportunities are continuously coming as well. Several restaurants have opened or remodeled since I have been at MSU, and in 2015, Neilson rated Starkville as the 5th best market for restaurant growth in the entire U.S. It is only going to get better, and this is a very exciting concept. 
Some may prefer the hustle and bustle of a weekend at Davis Wade or Dudy Noble, but others would prefer to stay away from the crowds altogether. It just so happens that going to college in a small town has its perks for these people, as Starkville has plenty of backroads to explore and scenic locations to visit. The most famous is the Noxubee County Refuge, only a short drive away from campus.
If you love to hunt, fish, hike or simply lay back and enjoy the beauty of nature, the Refuge is the place to be. The best part about the Refuge to me is its bodies of water. The Doyle Arm reservoir in particular is stunning and exemplifies the best part about living in a “boring” place like Starkville: the untamed majesty of the wild.
Jereme Phillips, manager of the Gulf Coast National Wildlife Refuge Complex, describes the Refuge as a “time capsule, where you’re seeing what the entire Mississippi Gulf Coast would have looked like a hundred, two hundred, a thousand years ago.”
Of course, it is a fantastic place to take a significant other, too. 
Nature and food are not the only alternatives to sports and alcohol, but they are the most prominent in Starkville. I have heard so many people describe the town as boring, but those people just have not experienced the small-town charm in full. College is not always about partying and school spirit, and I feel as if many students attending MSU lose sight of this. If you are going to a land-grant institution in the deep South, acclimate yourself to what the types of towns they exist in do best.
There is little sense in treating Starkville as if it is New York City or Los Angeles. This sentiment seems to be lost on many, however, new students venturing to our fine university should seek to immerse themselves in the culture. I am just as big a fan of our Bulldogs as anyone else, and bars have their place, too, but the atmosphere Starkville provides simply needs to be appreciated much more than it is.