MSU seniors continue their basketball journey on a professional stage

Rosalind Hutton | Graphic Editor

Mississippi State University’s senior guard and second all-time leading scorer, Victoria Vivians, was drafted by the Indiana Fever 8th overall in the WNBA draft last Thursday. She joins Ohio State University’s Kelsey Mitchell, whom the Fever drafted number two overall.

Vivians leaves MSU as a four-year starter who averaged 19.8 points per game, 48.5 percent from the field, 40.4 percent from 3-point range, and 80.9 percent from the free-throw line in her senior year. Last season, she was a First-Team All-SEC and All-American selection. After a National Championship berth two years in a row, Vivians joins a rebuilding team in the WNBA. The Fever posted a 9-25 record last season, and finished second to last in the league. 

Vivians was not the only MSU women’s basketball player to sign with a team. MSU’s senior point guard Morgan William signed a training camp contract with the Las Vegas Aces, who also picked South Carolina superstar A’ja Wilson with the first overall pick in the draft.

The Aces, previously known as the San Antonio Stars, will play their first season in Las Vegas this year. The San Antonio Stars were last in the league last season, finishing with a record of 7-27. William finished her career at MSU tied for 3rd in career assists in school history, started all 39 games, and finished 3rd in NCAA Division I turnover/assist ratio.

WNBA training camps begin April 29, and the preseason begins May 6.