Mississippi State’s organizations appeal to everyone

Clubs Info Graphic

Since there are a range of clubs available to join at Mississippi State University, incoming students have many clubs to consider and to niche.
Clubs on campus range from being all-inclusive to specifically targeting technical majors. However, there are options available for any student looking to get involved and find their new MSU family.
Some interesting clubs which are free to join and open to anyone are the Psychology Club, the German Club, the American Society of Medical Engineers (ASME) and the Human Powered Vehicle Challenge Team, to list a few.
Destiny Burns, president of the psychology club, encourages students to participate in the club since there are a range of activities appealing to everyone, and there are no particular major requirements.
“Psychology Club welcomes individuals with interest in the subject,” Burns said. “Once a member, individuals are able to become informed of open discussions, movie nights, field trips, and informative talks. Members are invited to become involved in all that they can, while interacting with others who share the same interests, and teachers in multiple departments.”
Because there are no specific time requirements for this club, Burns said this is the perfect club if one is worried about being crunched on time. Students are welcome to simply show up to the events they are available to attend.
Burns also suggests all incoming freshmen, if interested, participate.
“Every semester, we have a general interest meeting in which we talk about ideas we have and take suggestions, plus we always have free food,” Burns said. “This is a great opportunity to meet various individuals and become part of a fun organization.”
Similarly, MSU’s German Club is inclusive of all students, and membership is not restricted by major.
Ella Schalski, president of the German Club, said the club is entirely interest-based, and members just need to have an interest in German.
“Anybody is invited,” Schalski said. “It’s not exclusive to students who are currently in or have taken German classes. German Club has something for everybody.”
Schalski said the club has expanded over recent years, and plans to continue their involvement on campus to highlight the German language and culture.
“I love how German Club is branching out, especially with our involvement in the community,” Schalski said. “I love showing others how amazing I think the German culture and language is.” 
Two clubs which are targeted toward engineering majors are the American Society of Medical Engineers and the Human Powered Vehicle Challenge.
Nick Hopkins, president of the ASME, as well as team leader for the HPVC, said he recommends both ASME and Human Powered Vehicle Challenge Team for freshmen specifically.
As an engineering student, Hopkins said the ASME not only provides hands-on experience in his industry, but has also helped him develop life-long friendships.
“You seriously put your hands-on projects and work with the existing members,” Hopkins said. “It only takes a little bit of time, but you will find a lot of experience, help and lifelong friends in both of these groups.”
Hopkins said the Human Powered Vehicle Challenge is also a unique opportunity for students to have fun while learning about the processes which goes into basic engineering.
“This is an amazing opportunity to get hands-on with real engineering without even needing to have taken one class,” Hopkins said.
While members of the American Society of Medical Engineers tend to be medical engineers, anyone who is a technical major is encouraged to join HPVC.
Overall, MSU has over 280 student organizations for students to experience unique opportunities, learn more and develop new friendships.
Other clubs include:
Gamers’ Guild – A club for students who want to get together and play video games. Membership for the club is easy to obtain, as there are no requirements. The weekly meetings students can attend revolve around gaming, and there are additional tournaments as well.
Mickey’s Movie Club – A club for students who enjoy Disney movies and trivia to get together and relax with a film on.
SCUBA Dawgs –A club for students interested in scuba diving recreationally. Memberships cost $20, and the scuba diving takes place in the Sanderson Pool. Members can also opt to go on scuba diving trips offered throughout the year.
Tennis Club – An organization looking to accommodate any tennis players who wish to continue on recreationally. A $5 membership fee is required every semester to be involved, but students are allowed to participate simply by signing up. This is perfect for students who want to spend four hours a week practicing and beginning or continuing an entertaining hobby.
Terpsichore Dance Theatre Company – This dance company is something on campus students can audition for if they would like to work hard and improve their dance skills. The club meets three times a week, and auditions for fall semester are toward the end of August. If students are committed to dancing, they might thoroughly enjoy this opportunity.
The link to OrgSync, a website displaying these organizations and more, is https://orgsync.com/browse_orgs/587