Moorhead pleased with spring, team still needs polishing

Courtesy Photo | Kelly Price

Maurice Smitherman, a junior from Adamsville, Alabama, practices in a cornerback drill.

Mississippi State University football planned to host a second scrimmage, but due to inclement weather, they just held a normal practice. They will not make up the scrimmage before the Maroon-White Spring game this Saturday.
Head coach Joe Moorhead discussed missing the scrimmage with the media last Saturday.

“I think the kids were a little disappointed because of the weather that we were not going to have an opportunity to scrimmage,” Moorhead said. “But we got a full practice in, all of our team periods and individuals in. So we got much out of today. I thought the kids did a great job not allowing circumstances outside of their control to dictate their attitude and behavior. So they did a great job.”

With a week left of spring practice, Moorhead said he liked his team’s progress over the course of spring. He said they installed everything they wanted to this spring.

“For what we were putting in this spring, everything is installed by today,” Moorhead said. “But that doesn’t mean that is all we are going to see in fall camp and in the season. But the base foundation of all three phases are in. 

The full installation of the playbook means they can focus on details as they finish out spring practice.

“Continued understanding of the scheme and getting better from fundamental, technique and precision aspect,” Moorhead said. “The installation is done, and now it is just about refining.”

While a lot of coaches see the spring game strictly for the fans without much to gain, Moorhead sees the value in the game itself, for his players and his team. 

“We are putting them in the stadium for the first time, and the opportunity to compete in front of the fans and get used to how we operate on game day from a substitution and an operational standpoint,” Moorhead said. 

He said they will try not to do too much play-calling during the game.

“I do think you want to keep it simple and allow them to play fast and to be more concerned about their general assignment and execution, the fundamentals and technique than you are about trying to scheme it up,” Moorhead said.

The team has talent from top to bottom, and the spring gave the new coaching staff an opportunity to see the talent. Moorhead said there is competition across the board with guys pushing each other.
“That is one of the great opportunities for a team with a new coaching staff, and that is the depth charts are written in pencil and not pen,” Moorhead said. “If you come out and don’t perform and the guy behind you does better, then you move down on the depth chart and the other guy will replace you. It’s not rocket science, and I think the kids understand it. On any given Saturday, we are going to play the best 11 on offense, defense and special teams. Competition makes everybody better.”