Old Main Music Festival brings well-known artists to Starkville

Old Main Music Festival
Old Main Music Festival

Mississippi State University’s Music Maker Productions is sponsoring the annual Old Main Music Festival 2:30 p.m. today at the MSU Amphitheater.
This festival will host seven local bands: Austin Blue, Jordy Searcy, McKenzie Lockhart, Carter Gardner, Ebenezer Goodman, John Hart, and Hood Baby and The Barnacles; and three national bands: LV Baby, Rayland Baxter, and St. Paul and The Broken Bones.
The local acts will begin at the local stage at 2:30 p.m., and the national acts will begin at 6:30 p.m.
Music Makers will also host an art market, featuring local artists and regional food vendors. Vendors include Two Brother’s Smoked Meats, The Bin 612, Moe’s Original Barbeque, Wing King and Starkvegas Snowballs. Insomnia cookies will also donate cookies for the event. The art market will begin at 2 p.m., while the food trucks will begin serving at 3 p.m.
The festival will feature different outdoor activities, including face painting, darts, a yoga session and a puppy tent sponsored by the Humane Society.
Bailey Berry, public relations chair of Music Makers Productions, said the group wanted to make sure this is an event anyone and everyone would want to come to.
“Our main goal as an organization is to bring the Mississippi State community and the Starkville community together,” Berry said. “One way we do that is through the Old Main Music Festival because it is a free, family-friendly event that appeals to everyone.”
Music Makers Productions started preparation for this event during October last semester by reaching out to sponsors. Then, in January, Berry said they began the process of contacting artists to perform at the event.
Berry said she believes they accomplished their goal since they have received positive feedback from the student body, members of the community and people in surrounding areas as well.
“We have had a lot of people reach out to us from out of town to let us know that they are coming,” Berry said. “It is nice that this event really is able to be so inclusive and draw in people from surrounding areas.”
One new addition to this year’s Old Main Music Festival is Music Makers Productions accepted approximately 15 MSU student volunteers to work alongside the 20 Music Makers’ members.
Berry said they allowed volunteers to apply to work the festival in order to help outsource more help for the event, and increase awareness of what MMP actually does.
“A lot of people do not know what Music Makers is, and many people think we make actual music rather than organize music-based events,” Berry said. “This volunteer program is a great way to allow students to see what we really do at our events and gain a deeper insight on what Music Makers is.”
Berry said event set up begins at 4 p.m. the day before the event and will continue until the event starts. At that point, the Music Makers will be responsible for maintaining the event, and acting as stagehands and runners who help the artists and artist management.
“This is a commitment,” Berry said. “It takes a lot of time and energy, and it takes a person who has a strong work ethic in order to accomplish what needs to be done.”
Madison Godfrey, MSU junior, said she is planning on attending the event and is looking forward to seeing some of her favorite bands on campus.
“I have always loved St. Paul and The Broken Bones, and I am very excited see what all the Music Makers have organized for this event,” Godfrey said. “Seeing local artists and musicians while eating delicious food makes for a good time for anyone.”