Softball loses series in extra innings

After dropping the first game of the series which led to a thrilling victory Saturday night, No. 22 Mississippi State University (29-11,4-7) took on No. 10 Texas A&M (34-9,7-5) for the rubber match of the series on Sunday.

Despite coming off of a 10 inning victory the night before, the Bulldogs fell to the Aggies after a second extra-inning game with a final score of 4-1.

To begin play, Texas A&M struck first due to an MSU error which assisted the Aggies in scoring a run in the first inning.

The Aggies would hold the lead and the Bulldogs would remain scoreless until the bottom of the fourth inning where pinch hitter Taylor Kelly hit a single, sending Kat Moore home and tying the game 1-1.

After three scoreless innings where both teams were outstanding in defense, the series was forced into its second extra-inning game where Texas A&M was victorious.

After a controversial play by Texas A&M where it appeared a runner was out, was overturned, they increased their lead to 2-1, seemingly swaying their momentum. Holly Ward left the game giving up two runs in just three innings pitched. Following the game-changing play, the Aggies scored a two-run home run to stretch their lead to 4-1 off of Cassady Knudsen, who came in to pitch for Ward.

MSU had two errors and just five hits in the game that went to extras. Pitcher Cassady Knudsen was credited a loss after she threw for one and two-thirds innings, giving up three hits and three runs, while also committing two errors.

With great effort, the Bulldogs tried to stage a come from behind win, but they were unable to record any runs in the bottom of the eighth inning, and dropped the rubber match of the series to Texas A&M.
MSU will be in action next in a mid-week game as they take on Alcorn State University at 6 p.m. April 10 at Nusz Park. The SEC Network Alternative Channel will televise the game.