The International Fiesta celebrates cultural diversity

The annual International Fiesta will take place from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturday on the Drill Field.
Holmes Cultural Diversity Center, Division of Student Affairs and the World Neighbors Association organizes the fiesta.
Kei Mamiya, program coordinator for the Holmes Cultural Diversity Center and vice president of World Neighbors Association, said a wide variety of university organizations, clubs and community groups will have displays this year, and the event allows the community to see and appreciate different cultural aspects of every country.
“The event is designed to raise the awareness of the international population at Mississippi State University and Starkville, provide an opportunity for the university and Starkville communities to meet people from different countries and experience their cultures, and celebrate the international diversity that exists in Starkville,” Mamiya said.
Mamiya said various groups will entertain during the event with dancing, musical instrument, singing and a fashion show. There will also be activities specifically for children. 
The event is free, but booths will sell culturally significant food and souvenirs. Mukhunth Raghavan, president of the International Student Advisory Board, said about 50 groups will have booths at the event. 
Every organization with a booth has the creative freedom to represent itself differently, which allows people to celebrate their culture in a way which best reflects each culture.
The event encourages “the international diversity on campus, by giving people the space to represent their country or culture and create an inclusive atmosphere for everyone,” Raghaven said.
Shanika Musser, a student volunteering at the booth hosted by Engineers Without Borders, said their goals for the event include raising money and celebrating cultural differences.
Mamiya said the International Fiesta is an exciting chance to embrace cultural exchange.
“I love how a number of people including people from different countries, people from the United States, faculty, staff and students of the university, Starkville citizens, and people from other towns come together, build friendships, and experience various cultures around the world,” Mamiya said.