Mississippi State University is a home to all

Endless fields? Near Canada, right? Corn? Is that a state?
Questions like these are just a sample of those posed to me in my first days here as a Nebraskan studying at Mississippi State University.
With warmer weather, delicious bar-b-que, adorable accents and my father’s own collegiate experience as a Bulldog, MSU was an inevitable lock for my university choice as I approached high school graduation in May of 2017. The presence of strong academic programs, dedicated mentors and being located a healthy 13 hours away from my parents in Omaha also weighed heavily in favor toward continuing my education at MSU.
As with nearly all life choices, especially ones of great magnitude, I did have my reservations. How would I fit in in an entirely different region of the country? Will people like me? Would I be just a “Yankee” down there?
Looking back now as my first year has come to a close, however, I can say beyond the slightest shadow of a doubt that Mississippi State University was the absolute best choice I made, and within days of arrival on campus, any and all of your reservations will be torn asunder by the shear warmth and kindness of the people and atmosphere of this institution. In fact, being a student from a different state is actually a great blessing in disguise, and one which can prove a foundation for many meaningful relationships.
If you are coming to MSU as an out-of-state student, especially if it is a state from a different region of the country, you will quickly find learning and talking about the variation between other students’ homes is one of the best ice-breakers for meeting new people and forming friendships. Coming from Nebraska, I found myself soon immersed in the regional bickering which occurs here in the South, with Mississippi and Alabama sharing a rivalry and states like Tennessee and Arkansas trying to get their jabs in as well.
Students from all of these states and many more, like California and New York, introduced me to their cultural backgrounds and regional perspectives, and I reciprocated in turn with wondrous tales of Nebraska, “the promised land.” One of the most interesting things I learned throughout this exchange was literally no one is actually from Jackson, but rather nearly all are from suburbs surrounding the capital in its periphery.
Being an out-of-state student, you become very much aware of how both different and similar we all are. Mississippi and Alabama feud just as Nebraska and Iowa do, people here say soda or coke, while I use the more correct version, “pop.”
I have learned there is a variation within the venerable Southern drawl and to some, although I speak what is generally accepted as the least distinctive and reflected variant of English, I too have a funny accent. Each and every one of these interesting tidbits of knowledge and background has been the result of simply interacting with new people and sharing information.
Through this, barriers are broken, tension is eased and friendships are made. In fact, at MSU, there is a strong chance a random roommate may be from a state other than Mississippi. According to College Factual, over a third of students at MSU are from beyond the state lines.
Although being a Nebraskan at MSU has certainly benefitted my experience here, as I shall never tire of being asked if I own a corn farm or what it is like living in fields, MSU and its people are what truly have made the experience already unforgettable and the right choice for me.
Perhaps it is simply because “Southern hospitality” is foreign to me, however, to say so undersells the great kindness and human goodness which is manifested in this place. Students love and respect one another, even if they think your state is lame or does not exist.
Every freshman knows the name of the university president and has seen him in person at least once. Even for students such as myself who know little to nothing about sports, just being present at a football game creates a familial feeling with the entire crowd.
What further amplifies this unity is it extends into the classroom as well. From residence halls, common areas and the library, students study and work together. They solve problems, build fuel-efficient cars, manage finances and conduct research, as both individuals and as a maroon and white family, representing 38 states and 42 countries, according to College Factual.
All in all, MSU is doubtlessly a place where all are welcome, including Midwesterners such as myself. It offers people, classes and experiences for students of all dispositions. From classrooms to game days, students generally treat each other with respect and dignity, and the formation of friendships is evident from the very first day on campus.
Ultimately, although we may not all be Nebraskans, (in fact I have only met three others), here at MSU we are still all truly Bulldogs.