Walk pushes MSU past Texas A&M in second game of double header

After being delayed by a day due to the weather, No. 22 Mississippi State University (29-10, 4-7 SEC) began the series against No. 10 Texas A&M (33-9, 6-5 SEC) Saturday afternoon at Nusz Park. MSU split the series with a thrilling victory in game two of the doubleheader.

In game one of the doubleheader, Texas A&M scored first due to a two-out RBI single by Ashley Walters. The Aggies would not increase their lead until the top of the fourth because of another run and aid from a MSU error.

The Bulldogs were held scoreless until the bottom of the fourth when Reggie Harrison hit a bunt to record a single RBI, but it did not take long for the Aggies to respond and increase their lead to 3-1. In the seventh, the bases were loaded as the Bulldogs tried to stage a come from behind win, but were robbed of a home run by an Texas A&M outfielder, which led to the Aggies taking game one.

Unlike game one, the Bulldogs were first to get on the board, but not until the bottom of the third due to a sacrifice flyer by Emily Heimberger, two runs from a hit by pitch and a bases-loaded walk.

However, it did not take the Aggies long to respond. In the top of the fourth, Texas A&M scored two to tie the game 3-3 from a bases-loaded walk and a RBI single, and the Aggies went on to score their final run in the top of the fifth.

After four scoreless innings where both teams’ defenses shined, the Bulldogs broke the tie in the bottom of the 10th inning when Taylor Kelly, a junior from Calhoun, Georgia, stepped to the plate and received a walk, sending Kat Moore home to cap the extra-innings victory with a score of 4-3. This would even out the series.

“We always fight, we don’t go away. We’re always pushing, I’m really proud of my team,” Kelly said. “Everybody is always ready, and I was just blessed to have the opportunity.”

Kelly, who is a two year veteran on the team, spoke about the support her team has for each other, and how it really helped her when she stepped up to the plate.

“My teammates always have my back and they always let me know I got it,” Kelly said. “I knew with them behind me, I was going to do what I needed to do.”

Cassady Knudsen, a senior pitcher from Altoona, Iowa, also got the win after throwing five and one thirds innings, only giving up two hits and striking out two batters.

The third and final game of the series will be played Sunday at 2:00 p.m., and the game will air on the SEC Network.