Millennials have more potential than they are credited

Millennial’s work ethic

Millennials get a bad rep. The name for the generation encompassing those born between the early 80’s and mid 90’s carries with it severe negative connotations, and most of the time, they are not based in reality. In fact, many of the traits exclusive to our generation are common complaints from any older generation about the ones after them: laziness, disrespect and entitlement to name a few.
To quote Socrates in the 4th century AD, “Children now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority, disrespect their elders and love talking instead of exercise.”
Now, ask yourself how eerily similar the phrasing is to what Baby Boomers and Gen Xers say about millennials. Not only do these attributes not define the millennial generation, but they actually work as polar opposites to what we can really bring to the proverbial table.
Let us begin by twisting the biggest stereotype about millennials to our favor: social justice warriors.
While I do agree there is a rather vocal minority who takes their activism far beyond the realm of annoyance, the fact we consistently stand up for what we believe in, even if our efforts become a nuisance to whatever opponent may face us shows the level of commitment we have to change.
The LGBTQ and African American communities, in particular, have been brought to life with the help of millennials, paving the way for both groups to finally shed their disenfranchisement one day and achieve true equality in this country.
Millennials from all backgrounds have begun to champion the mental health awareness cause.
Based on the small amount of information people have already uncovered, the world will be a happier and more forgiving place for it. We face our problems head-on, regardless of how many people we have to step over to do so. This is the mentality of people who can change the world, unrivaled since the 1960’s in America.
Then, of course, there is the classic individualist argument. According to some, millennials are the “Me Me Me” generation, citing our collective love of selfies and self-reflection. A few even tend to think this focus on oneself is indicative of narcissism. The selfie trend is hardly worth calling a generational trait, but individualism is absolutely one of the hallmarks of those who closed out the 1900s.Just as with the example of activism, the truth of the matter is a far cry from what others would lead America to think.
The individualist approach to life leads to a de-emphasis on rushed marriages and childbirth for one, increasing the stability and overall content of families. It also yields higher self-esteem, a more accurate sense of self and a heightened drive to succeed.
Those who feel this is too egocentric a mindset to have should read BBC’s Christian Jarrett, “It seems it may well be true that young people today are more self-assured than in previous generations. Whether you see that as a healthy sign of confidence or a worrying signal of narcissism may well say more about you than it does about them.”
Millennials are creative. We are passionate, and we are go-getters. People can dress those up to mean whatever they wish, but it does not change the fact this generation will change the world in an untold number of ways due to its personality and mastery of technology.
We may not have brought down the Nazis, and we certainly did not stand with MLK Jr. in his heyday, but I truly believe we will be remembered as one of the most influential and change-bearing generations in American history. I believe a few duck faces and Facebook rants are a small price to pay for such potential.