Bulldogs on the Road: Baseball, Softball, Golf, Tennis and Track

Over the course of the past week, Mississippi State University sent six different teams across the country to play games on the road. Some found huge successes, while others had disappointing showings. This information is a condensed version of MSU Communications’ press releases.

Baseball splits first half of their tour of Texas

MSU baseball (3-5) is almost finished with their three-week-long road trip to open up the season. They opened up the tour of Texas with the Kleberg Bank College Classic, where they took on University of California in Santa Barbara, Nicholls State University and Texas A&M University in Corpus Christi.

Friday, freshman Josh Hatcher led MSU to a 7-4 win over Santa Barbara with two home runs and batted in three runs. Against Nicholls State Saturday, MSU’s offense exploded on the way to a 14-4 victory. Tanner Allen drove in four runs on three hits. Sunday, MSU’s three-game win streak came to an end as the Bulldogs fell to TAMUCC by a score of 6-3.

MSU was scheduled to travel to Edinburg, Texas, to take on Texas Rio Grande Valley, but the game was canceled. MSU, now halfway through their tour of Texas, took a brief stop in Lake Charles, Louisiana, Wednesday, where they lost to McNeese State 6-3. They will travel to Houston, Texas, this weekend to play in the Shriner’s College Classic.

They take on the University of Louisiana Friday, the University of Houston Saturday and Sam Houston State University Sunday. They will then return home March 6 for their home opener against New Mexico State University.

Softball finds mild success on the West Coast

Entering the Mary Nutter Collegiate Classic in Palm Springs, California, MSU softball (12-3) went to find out how good they were. They faced top teams in No. 16 Arizona State University, the University of Nebraska, Oklahoma State University, San Hose State University and California State University in Fullerton.

Thursday, Feb. 22, MSU dropped their opening day game to the ranked Sun Devils of ASU by a score of 3-1. MSU bounced back in the second game of that Thursday, taking a convincing 9-0 victory over Nebraska. Reggie Harrison led the team by hitting in five runs. They then picked up a big win over then No. 18 OSU on Friday. Sarai Niu led the team by batting in four runs in MSU’s 9-4 win.

On Saturday, they split their doubleheader, winning the front half to the day against San Hose State by a score of 6-4 and losing the back end to Cal State Fullerton by a score of 4-1. Pitcher Holly Ward was awarded the win over San Hose as she struck out five batters in five innings played.

MSU softball will be back in action this weekend in the Bulldog Slamboree. They will take on Lamar University, Mercer University and Sam Houston State University.

Men’s tennis ends non-conference play with a win in New Orleans

Last Friday, MSU men’s tennis (6-1) wrapped up their last game of non-conference play with a 4-3 win over Tulane University. MSU won the doubles point with Florian Broska and Trevor Foshey, taking home a deciding match by a score of 7-6.

No. 4 ranked player Nuno Borges won his match, but MSU lost the next two courts and were in a 2-2 tie. Niclas Braun and Trevor Foshey came through on courts four and six to bring MSU back the victory.

They will be in action at home Sunday against Auburn University to open up SEC play.

Track and field claim five medals in College Station

MSU track and field found success at the SEC Indoor Championships over the past weekend. The player who found the most success was Logan Boss. She took home the gold medal in women’s high jump, clearing 1.91m.

Dejon Devroe took home the silver medal in the 800m, and Daniel Nixon took home the bronze. The fourth medal went to Rhiannwedd Price-Weimer, who won silver in the mile. She also grabbed a bronze medal with Mia Meydrich, Keturah Smith and Alon Lewis in the distance medley relay.

Men’s golf struggles in Lafayette, women finish middle of the pack in Houston

MSU men’s golf finished 13 out of 15 teams in the Louisiana Classics Golf Tournament in Lafayette on Tuesday. Peng Pichaikool had the best finish for MSU, as he placed 34th in the tournament.

Women’s golf finished ninth out of 17 teams in the Dickerson Invitational. The placement is thanks to a top six finish by Athena Yang, as she was the only Bulldog to shoot under par, shooting one under. Katie Holt also finished at 21st in the tournament at one over par.