MSU alumna Ally McDonald wins LPGA

This past Sunday, Ally McDonald became the first Mississippi State University graduate to win an event on the Ladies Professional Golf Association Tour by claiming first place in the LPGA Drive On Championship.
 McDonald graduated from MSU in 2015, and during her time in Starkville, she won five amateur events. After graduating, she began her professional golfing career and had five Top 20 finishes on the LPGA before winning the Drive On Championship last Sunday.
Golf has always been in McDonald’s blood and a part of her life. At a young age, McDonald spent her days going to the golf course with her father, Jamie McDonald.
“My family was into the game and I enjoyed anything competitive,” McDonald said. “Golf was just another sport I picked up when I was younger until I got old enough to see I was pretty good and worked at it.”
McDonald acknowledges that a lot of different individuals, in addition to the guidance from her father,  have helped and mentored her along her journey through golfing at a collegiate level and even into becoming a professional golfer. She looks to give back in the same way by volunteering as an assistant coach at Mississippi State University whenever she gets the chance.
McDonald finished at a score of -16 on Sunday to defeat Danielle Kang by a single stroke. She credits her solid putting performance throughout the weekend for aiding her towards gaining her first win.
“I’ve felt I’m a pretty consistent ball striker and drive the ball well, so for me I think it was just putts falling,” McDonald said about her efforts during the game. “That’s what I’ve tried to get trending in the right direction because I know it’s the difference in a good week and a great week.” 
With only four more events left in 2020, the MSU alum looks forward to continuing  to climb in the Race to the CME Globe by sticking with the same process that helped her achieve her first win. She believes that getting her first big win will take some of the pressure off her shoulders and produce even more success.