SEC MBK Roundup Week 2: Florida is a real threat to win the conference

The Gators are 5-0 to start the season, and show no signs of stopping. Florida has faced some quality opponents this season, getting wins over Florida State and a buzzer-beater win over Ohio State. Florida has earned themselves the #23 ranking in this week’s AP poll, and looks to keep rising.

Games To Watch

•  #23 Florida vs. Troy Sunday at 11 a.m. Central Time on SEC Network. 

“I think this Florida team has the potential to be great. They’re a tough team on both ends of the floor, and Mike White has done a great job of getting all the transfers to buy in. It wouldn’t shock me to see them finish near the top of the SEC if that aggressive nature continues. 
Colin Castleton is the heart of the Gators. He’s averaging 17 points and 10 boards so far this year and is a force defensively, averaging over four blocks per game. His two-ability coupled with complimentary pieces could carry this team deep into March.” -Michael Hull, The Alligator.

Florida recently won the Fort Myers Tip-Off Tournament and now heads home for their next contest.

• #19 Auburn vs. Syracuse Friday at 3:30 p.m. Central Time on ESPN2.

Auburn is out to a 4-1 start with wins over Morehead State, UL Monroe, South Florida and Loyola-Chicago. Auburn took their first loss of the season in a double-overtime thriller against Connecticut. Currently in the Battle 4 Atlantis Tournament, Auburn has played two quality opponents in Connecticut and Loyola-Chicago, as well as wrapping up the tournament today against Syracuse. The Tigers will continue to be without junior guard Allen Flanigan, the leader of the team. CBS sports analyst Jon Rothstein stated Auburn “will really miss Allen Flanigan this week at the Battle 4 Atlantis.”

• #10 Alabama vs. Drake Friday at 3:30 p.m. Central Time on ESPNU.

Alabama took their first defeat of the season in the ESPN Events Invitational on Thursday against Rick Pitino’s feisty Iona squad. A back and forth game for all 40 minutes led to the Tide coming out on the wrong side of it. They continue on the consolation side of the bracket against a tough Drake team. 

Alabama currently sits tied with Kentucky at the #10 spot in the latest AP poll, showing the SEC is truly up for grabs.

Quick Hits:

• Many SEC teams are playing in early season tournaments right now, giving the SEC plenty of opportunities for quality wins.

• Three SEC teams are still unbeaten: Arkansas, LSU and Florida.

• Tennessee has already completed an early season tournament, losing to Villanova and getting a hard-fought victory over North Carolina.

• Georgia currently has the worst record in the SEC at 2-4. The Bulldogs have not been able to capitalize against quality opponents. Earlier this week, Georgia played in the Roman Legends Classic, losing both games, as well as losing to in-state rival Georgia Tech last week.

• Mississippi State University lost their first game of the season in blowout fashion Thursday night against Louisville. The Bulldogs shot 1-15 from three-point range in that game. MSU looks to bounce back Saturday morning against Richmond.

• Texas A&M continues to play better than expected, sitting at 6-1. Their one loss came to Wisconsin on Monday afternoon in the Maui Jim Maui Invitational. They did get a quality win over Notre Dame after this loss.

• Kentucky is not playing in a tournament this week, but the Wildcats have gone 3-0 in the past week. Full of talent, Kentucky is looking like they are back and ready to compete for an NCAA Tournament once again.

• Missouri completed the Jacksonville Classic last weekend, going 1-1. Their loss came to Florida State, after an overtime win over SMU.

• Ole Miss played in the Shiners Children’s Charleston Classic over the weekend, taking two losses to Marquette and Boise State. Ole Miss is led by senior guard Jarkel Joiner, and it is appearing he will need to have some major performances for the Rebels to make some noise in the SEC this season.

• Vanderbilt lost a low-scoring matchup against VCU last week, only putting up 37 points. Vanderbilt was able to bounce back and gain a quality win over Pittsburgh on Wednesday night. The Commodores have more talent this season than they have in recent seasons, and will continue to be a team to watch.

• #13 Arkansas recently won the Hall of Fame classic and have established themselves as a contender with wins over Kansas State University and Cincinnati.

• LSU will be playing in the Emerald Coast Classic in Niceville, Florida, this weekend. Currently sitting at 5-0, the Tigers, led by Darius Days, could get national attention in early December.

• South Carolina is another team not playing in an early season tournament, and the Gamecocks could really use some quality opponents on their resumé. With the one loss to Princeton early, South Carolina is not on anyone’s radar and will not be until they face real competition in December.

FIVE OTHER MATCHUPS TO WATCH:

LSU vs. Penn State – Friday at 6 p.m. Central Time on CBS Sports Network.

North Florida vs. Kentucky – Friday at 6 p.m. Central Time on SEC Network. 

Missouri vs. Wichita State – Friday at 8 p.m. Central Time on SEC Network.

Richmond vs. Mississippi State University – Saturday at 11:30 a.m. Central Time on FloHoops.

Georgia vs. Wofford – Sunday at 3 p.m. Central Time on SEC Network Plus.

Note: Other stellar matchups will come to fruition this week; these matchups are the ones that are known to be taking place as of Friday morning. All stats are also correct as of Friday Morning.